- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup (about 14) dried apricots, finely chopped
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
Brown Butter Frosting
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter (do not use margarine)
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 3 – 4 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup (about 7) dried apricot, finely chopped (optional)
- Heat oven to 325°F. Grease 12-cup fluted tube cake pan and lightly flour.
- In small bowl, mix all streusel ingredients together except the apricots. When fine crumbs form, stir in apricots; set aside.
- In medium bowl, whisk together 3 cups of flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and salt, set aside.
- In large bowl, cream 1 cup butter and granulated sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in pumpkin.
- On low speed, gradually beat in flour mixture until blended. Fill cake using the above pictorial.
- Bake 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean and top is golden brown. Cool 15 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool for about 1 hour before frosting.
- Meanwhile, in a 2-quart saucepan, heat butter over medium heat, stirring continuously until light golden brown; cool slightly.
- Stir in powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Add additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency is developed.
- Spoon frosting over cake allowing some to drip down the sides. Garnish with apricots.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Cuisine: American