- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1 cup skim milk*
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening, melted
- 1 tablespoon fresh grapefruit zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed grapefruit juice, seeds removed
- 1–2 cups powdered sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons fresh squeezed grapefruit juice, seeds removed
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Using a baking spray with flour grease each donut cavity; set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add to the flour mixture, egg whites, milk, shortening and grapefruit zest and its juice, mix until just combined. Note: do not over mix as this could toughen the donuts.
- Pour batter 1/2 full into each donut cavity, about 1/4 cup. Bake for 10-13 minutes until tops are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool over a wire rack to room temperature before pouring the glaze.
- Meanwhile in a small deep bowl, whisk powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of grapefruit juice until well combined. If glaze is too thick, add a 1/2 tablespoon of grapefruit juice at a time and stir. If glaze is too thin, add 1/4 cup of powdered sugar at a time and stir till combined.
- Dip one half of each donut into the glaze and set to dry over a wire rack. Place a plate underneath to catch any drippings.
- To make the zigzag lines of the glaze, pour excess glaze into one corner inside of a plastic sandwich/snack bag and cut a small hole at the corner. Gently push glaze through the opened hole to drizzle. Set to dry, about 5 to 10 minutes. ENJOY!
*Full fat version of ingredient(s) may be substituted.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes