Easy Homemade Bananas Foster Maple Syrup is generously poured over leftover Hot Cross Buns… turned French Toast! With a hint of rum, talk about a Sweet and Sinful Morning Dessert. Bananas Foster Hot Cross Bun French Toast is how to Start Your Day!
Have extra hot cross buns left over from Easter? It’s not unusual that just before the buns begin to go stale, you may have considered making bread pudding. I wanted to go a different direction and opted for french toast and go a little bananas on it with a super simple, homemade, maple bananas fosters syrup! No regrets!
Bananas foster taste amazing on vanilla ice cream and if you’re like me, I love to take advantage of any opportunity to dash a little liquor into something sweet. And what better way to start your morning with these amazing thick slices of warm, spiced sweet rolls lightly fried in eggs and butter?
To top it off, drench the toast with buttered-flavored, caramel maple syrup with a splash of rum and cooked bananas. This is taking French toast on a whole NEW level and I enjoyed every minute of it!
Since the first day I’ve made these hot cross buns, I knew I wanted to spruce up the leftover bread so I kept them in the fridge for about a week. There was just too much bread a single gal could eat on her own. To my surprise, they remained fairly soft to the touch.
The buns exterior is soft and tender so I recommend using a non-serrated knife to achieve smooth and even cuts throughout. This will keep the slices clean and help eliminate loose bread crumbs falling into the egg batter. That just leaves a mess in the bowl and unnecessarily soaks up much of the batter that we want.
Like Challah bread which is sliced thick and quite often used in French toast, we want to go with the same idea. Cut the slices 1-inch thick and be sure to double dip. Get that batter soaked into the slice. If the slices are cut too thin (less than 1-inch thick), the bread may become too soggy and fall apart. However, there’s nothing wrong with thin slices. If you prefer this, do a quick dip on each side of the bread once, discard excess egg batter, and cook.
Like how I caught my little boy in the back. He’s a part of my heart, Grizz-Lee. Chocolate was by my feet (as usual) impatiently waiting for me to drop a piece so she could inhale it.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please consider giving a star rating. Ratings help others discover my recipes and with the help of your support, it will be greatly appreciated, thank you!Print
Generously Pour this Easy Homemade Bananas Foster Maple Syrup over Leftover Hot Cross Buns… turned French Toast! And you will have Breakfast turned into a Sweet and Sinful Morning Dessert with a Hint of Rum. Now that’s How to Start Your Day!
- 4 large eggs (220 grams)
- 3/4 cup (180 grams) oat milk or regular whole milk, divided
- 2 teaspoons (12 grams) pure vanilla extract, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 to 9 jumbo hot cross buns
- 1 cup (226 grams) salted butter, divided
- 1 cup (220 grams) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 grams) pure maple syrup
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon (15-30 grams) rum liquor or 1 to 2 teaspoons (5-10 grams) rum extract
- 2 ripe bananas (170 grams), sliced lengthwise and crosswise
- In a wide shallow dish, whisk together eggs, 1/2 cup (120 grams) milk, 1 teaspoon (6 grams) vanilla and cinnamon.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 1 to 2 tablespoons (14 to 28 grams) butter. Dip each hot cross bun slice into the egg mixture to coat both sides, one slice at a time. Using a fork, raise each slice above the bowl to allow excess egg mixture to drip back into the dish. Place each slice onto the hot skillet.
- Cook on each side 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Repeat for the remaining slices. Set aside to keep warm.
- In the same large skillet over medium-high heat, melt 1/2 cup (113 grams) butter and mix in brown sugar, maple syrup and 1/4 cup (60 grams) milk. Allow to simmer for 2 minutes. Mix in 1 teaspoon (6 grams) vanilla and rum to taste.
- Gently add bananas, allow to simmer for 1 minute. Flip bananas and simmer for another minute.
- Remove skillet from heat and spoon sauce and bananas over the hot cross bun french toast. ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: bananas foster french toast, hot cross bun french toast, leftover hot cross buns, breakfast recipe, easter breakfast
French Toast Recipes