Generously Pour this Easy Homemade Bananas Foster Maple Syrup over Leftover Hot Cross Buns… turned French Toast! And you will have Breakfast turned into a Sweet and Sinful Morning Dessert with a Hint of Rum. Now that’s How to Start Your Day!
- 4 large eggs (220 grams)
- 3/4 cup (180 grams) oat milk or regular whole milk, divided
- 2 teaspoons (12 grams) pure vanilla extract, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 to 9 jumbo hot cross buns
- 1 cup (226 grams) salted butter, divided
- 1 cup (220 grams) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 grams) pure maple syrup
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon (15-30 grams) rum liquor or 1 to 2 teaspoons (5-10 grams) rum extract
- 2 ripe bananas (170 grams), sliced lengthwise and crosswise
- In a wide shallow dish, whisk together eggs, 1/2 cup (120 grams) milk, 1 teaspoon (6 grams) vanilla and cinnamon.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 1 to 2 tablespoons (14 to 28 grams) butter. Dip each hot cross bun slice into the egg mixture to coat both sides, one slice at a time. Using a fork, raise each slice above the bowl to allow excess egg mixture to drip back into the dish. Place each slice onto the hot skillet.
- Cook on each side 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Repeat for the remaining slices. Set aside to keep warm.
- In the same large skillet over medium-high heat, melt 1/2 cup (113 grams) butter and mix in brown sugar, maple syrup and 1/4 cup (60 grams) milk. Allow to simmer for 2 minutes. Mix in 1 teaspoon (6 grams) vanilla and rum to taste.
- Gently add bananas, allow to simmer for 1 minute. Flip bananas and simmer for another minute.
- Remove skillet from heat and spoon sauce and bananas over the hot cross bun french toast. ENJOY!
- Cuisine: American