- 5 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 cup + 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cup fresh cherries
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or Cool Whip
- 1/2 cup chocolate sauce or ganache
- 1 ounce block dark chocolate
- 1 ounce block white chocolate
- Heat oven to 250 degrees F. Using a pen/pencil, trace around a 6-inch round baking pan over parchment paper. Flip parchment paper over onto a large cookie sheet. Place 2 butter knives on each end of the parchment paper to prevent the paper from curling from the heat; set aside.
- In a large clean, dry, greaseless bowl, use an electric mixer to beat egg whites on high until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually add 1 cup of sugar a few tablespoons at a time. Use a clean rubber spatula to scrape sides of bowl for thorough mixing. Continue beating on high until meringue appears glossy and when a sample is pinched between two fingers, no sugar granules are detected.
- Add cream of tartar and continue to beat for one minute.
- Using an angled spatula, place a small amount of meringue onto the parchment paper to form a ring around the traced circle. Gradually add the rest of the meringue and shape to your desired design. NOTE: Be sure there are no air bubbles as this may cause cracking.
- Bake for 1 hour. Do NOT open oven. Leave pavlova to cool in oven for 3 hours or more.
- Pit 1/2 cup cherries and place into a small saucepan with 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 tablespoon water. Heat on medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Mash cherries once they swell, heat for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Whipped cream
- In a large chilled bowl, using an electric mixer beat heavy cream and 2 tablespoons of sugar until stiff peaks form; set aside to cool in fridge.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the sides of the chocolate blocks. Set aside in a cool dry area until needed. NOTE: do not store in fridge.
- Carefully remove parchment paper from the bottom of the pavlova and set onto a serving platter. Spoon whipped cream over the top of the pavlova. Garnish with whole cherries. Drizzle cherry compote and chocolate sauce/ganache. Evenly sprinkle chocolate shavings. ENJOY!