Fragrant meyer lemons and the richness yogurt brings to these Blueberry Lemon Thyme Muffins will create a delightful start to your morning breakfast. Don’t forget to include the crumb topping and lemon thyme glaze for a zesty sweet finish.
- 1 cup (120 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (55 grams) dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) meyer lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons (85 grams) unsalted butter, melted
BLUEBERRY LEMON THYME MUFFINS
- 2 cups (240 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, stems removed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups (250 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs (100 grams)
- 1/3 cup (75 grams) vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon (8 grams) meyer lemon zest
- 1 cup (240 grams) plain yogurt
- 1 cup (150 grams) fresh blueberries, divided
LEMON THYME GLAZE
- 1/2 cup (125 grams) lemon juice
- 2 twigs of fresh thyme, divided
- 3 to 4 cups (345 to 460 grams) powdered sugar
- TOPPING: In a small bowl, whisk all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, lemon zest and salt together. Mix in melted butter and stir. The topping should crumble and some may resemble wet sand; set aside.
- MUFFINS: Heat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line 18 muffin wells with a paper baking cup or lightly grease and flour the bottom and sides of each well; set pan aside. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, thyme and salt; set aside.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment on low to medium speed, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time until well blended. Mix in oil and lemon zest until just combined.
- Gently mix the flour mixture into the wet ingredients alternating with the yogurt beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold the blueberries into the batter. Be sure to not overmix.
- If using the crumb topping, scoop 1/4 cup of batter into each prepared muffin well. Be sure to only fill about 1/2 to 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack for further cooling.
- GLAZE: Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat lemon juice to 125°F (52°C). Add 2 twigs of thyme into the juice and remove from heat. Allow thyme to steep for 10 minutes, then discard.
- In a medium bowl, whisk lemon juice and 3 cups (345 grams) powdered sugar until smooth. If glaze is too thin, mix in additional powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time. To test for proper consistency of the glaze, the glaze should drip from the spoon and fall back onto the remaining glaze in the shape of a ribbon that will hold for about 5 seconds before it disappears. Drizzle glaze over the top of the cooled muffins. Once dried, garnish with thyme. ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Category: Muffins
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: blueberry lemon, lemon thyme, lemon muffins, blueberry lemon muffins, lemon thyme glaze