Take a bite into this delightful mix of sweet and tart tender apples beneath an oat crisp that’s baked to perfection. Serve it warm with a scoop of ice cream and as much of this amazing homemade bourbon caramel sauce your heart desires.
- 2 medium tart apples (Granny Smith or Rome)
- 2 medium sweet apples (Honeycrisp, Braeburn or Gala)
- 3/4 cup (165 grams) packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (45 grams) old-fashioned or quick oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons (85 grams) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (110 grams) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (57 grams) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (60 grams) heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) bourbon
- 1 tablespoon (7 grams) powdered sugar
- vanilla ice cream, optional
- APPLE CRISP: Heat oven to 375°F (190°C). Using cooking spray, grease bottom and sides of an 8 or 9-inch (20 or 23 cm) baking dish that is 1 inch (2.5 cm) deep; set aside.
- Peel and slice each apple to 1/2 inch (1.3 cm) thick. Place slices into the prepared baking dish filled to the rim; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix brown sugar, flour, oats, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or a long-tined fork until the mixture becomes crumbly. The crisp mixture should resemble wet sand. Evenly sprinkle over the sliced apples. The height of the unbaked dessert will be higher than the rim of the baking dish however, upon baking, it will decrease as the apples will shrink in thickness.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until crisp is light brown and apples are tender. Allow the apple crisp to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- BOURBON CARAMEL: Meanwhile in a small saucepan over medium heat, bring brown sugar, butter, heavy cream and salt to a boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in bourbon and powdered sugar until smooth. Drizzle over the apple crisp. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Crisp
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cinnamon apple crisp, bourbon caramel, caramel sauce, homemade caramel, caramel apple, fall dessert