A boozy fudge-like Bourbon Chocolate Cake with bourbon cream cheese frosting and a simple bourbon-caramel glaze. Add pecans to give it a nutty crunch and flavor and this will be the highlight of your holiday dessert table.
Perfect for fall baking.
Chocolate and cake pretty much runs through my veins for as long as I can remember. As a child, I always found an excuse to bake sheet cakes in my mother’s kitchen. Now that I’m older and willing to handle more sophisticated cakes, I decided to give you a bit of an adult version of my childhood favorite and spike it with bourbon.
For a dramatic pop of flavor, I drizzled a bourbon-caramel sauce over the top which is simply a mix of caramel topping and bourbon. Easy, right? Just don’t be fooled on the small amount of bourbon; it’s enough to give this cake an extra punch of boozy flavor!
If you prefer a rich fudge-like chocolate cake, then this recipe is for you. Furthermore, this cream cheese frosting remains one of the best frostings to work with. Its smooth silk-like texture is easy to manipulate in designing the sides and top of the cake or if you want to go for a straight edge finish as seen here, easy! Plus the flavor of the cream cheese frosting is mild therefore, less sweet which compliments the chocolate perfectly.
If you’re looking for a change to place onto your dessert table for the upcoming holidays, this cake is it. Bourbon is perfect for this time of year and is sure to please many around the table.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Consider rating and commenting below. I love to see your feedback and help answer any questions you may have. Don’t forget to check below for related recipes.Print
A boozy fudge-like chocolate cake with bourbon cream cheese frosting and a simple bourbon-caramel glaze. Add pecans to give it a nutty crunch and flavor and this will be the highlight of your holiday dessert table.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces sweet baking chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup instant coffee crystals or instant espresso coffee powder
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 3/4 cup caramel flavor ice cream topping
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 to 8 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons bourbon
- 1 1/2 cups pecans, finely chopped (optional)
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Using a baking spray with flour, generously coat the bottom and sides of 2 8-inch round baking pans; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl combine unsweetened chocolate and sweet chocolate and microwave on HIGH power for 30 seconds; stir. Repeat microwave heating and stir after each 30 second interval until smooth, about 1 ½ minutes. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, stir coffee (or espresso) and boiling water until coffee completely dissolves. Increase water to measure a total coffee-mixture of 1 ½ cups. Stir in ½ cup bourbon.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium to high speed, beat butter and sugar for 30 seconds or until light and fluffy. Add in eggs and continue beating for another minute. Add in cooled melted chocolate and vanilla and beat until chocolate is thoroughly mixed.
- On low speed, beat in alternating portions of flour mixture and coffee mixture until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pans; spread evenly.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center of each cake comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool in pans over a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Remove cakes from pans. Brush the top and sides of both cakes with 2 tablespoons bourbon and allow to further cool on wire racks before frosting.
- In a small saucepan combine caramel topping and 2 tablespoons bourbon. Cook and stir over medium heat until warm. Remove from heat; set aside.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer on low to medium speed, beat cream cheese and butter until thoroughly combined. Beat in bourbon and powdered sugar one cup at a time.
- Frost the top of the bottom layer of the cake. Stack the second layer and frost the top and sides of cake. Before frosting dries, lightly press chopped pecans onto the sides.
- Using a piping bag with a fitted 2D tip, pipe swirls on top. If desired, place a pecan onto each swirl and drizzle bourbon-caramel sauce on top. ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes