The Easiest Tart EVER with a Thin Layer of a Caramelized Crisp over a Sweet Gooey Custard Filling and my Favorite Buttery Pie Crust!
- 1 1/2 cups (190 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted cold butter, sliced or cut in 1 cm cubes
- 1 large egg yolk
- 4 to 5 tablespoons (60 to 75 ml) cold water
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups (330 grams) brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) pure vanilla extract
- powdered sugar for dusting
- whipped cream
- CRUST: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and salt. Toss in butter and coat with flour mixture. Using a pastry blender or long-tined fork, cut in butter and egg yolk until the mixture becomes crumbly about the size of small peas. Add water 2 tablespoons at a time and continue to cut into the flour mixture until a dough forms and is able to leave the sides of the bowl becoming one cohesive mass of dough.
- Shape the pastry dough into a flattened disk. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow to chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 450°F (230°C) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat; set aside.
- Once the pastry dough has chilled, lightly flour a clean and dry surface. Roll pastry dough into a 10-inch circle, about 1/8 inch thick. Use remaining scraps to fill in any gaps or tears. With the aid of a large bench scraper, transfer the sheet of pastry dough onto a 9-inch (23 cm) tart pan with a removable bottom. Gently press into the bottom and up sides of the pan. Avoid stretching of the pastry dough.
- BLIND BAKE: Lay above the unbaked pie crust a sheet of parchment paper and fill with ceramic baking beads or dried beans/rice. Bake for 7 minutes. Carefully remove beads and parchment paper. Bake again for 2 minutes. Remove pie crust from oven, set aside and reduce oven temperature to 350°F (175°C).
- FILLING: In a medium bowl using an electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar together until fluffy. Beat in 1 egg at a time. Stir in buttermilk, flour and vanilla. Pour filling into the partially baked crust.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until almost set. Allow tart to cool completely on cooling rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and whipped cream. ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Chess Tart, Caramel, brown sugar pie