Chocolate Chip Banana Scones have chocolate in every bite with a Banana flavor undertone. These Easy Homemade Scones are just as Flaky and Buttery as those from the bakery.
There’s just something about the plumpness of these scones that easily catches the eye! I’ve made a few varieties in my past such as these vegan blueberry scones but these chocolate chip banana ones, made me fall in love with scones all over again. Look at how plump there are!
Granted, it also has to do with how you shape the dough. Shape it thick and it’ll bake thicker. And flatten the dough like that shown towards the bottom of these prebaked cherry chocolate chip scones post (which by the way, was my first time making scones), and it’ll inevitably come out thinner. But I have a question on my mind. Do you believe scones are supposed to be soft like a muffin or more dry / hard?
I ask because I just finished a season of one of my all-time favorite shows, Curb Your Enthusiasm, where Larry David (creator of Seinfeld) flips out for being served a soft scone by Mocha Joe. He argues with Joe that scones should be hard which leads into him being banned from the store. Larry then opens a “spite store” named Latte Larry’s and Mocha Joe becomes his arch nemesis all because of soft scones (and cold coffee). It’s one of the most hilarious sitcoms and you have got to watch a clip of it HERE! Viewer discretion for strong language.
Either way you like yours, I do see Larry’s point in that scones should be supposed to be harder. In general, I believe scones should be firm on the outside with a dry buttery crumb. Muffins on the other hand, should have a soft exterior with a moist and tender crumb. These chocolate chip banana scones are more of a cross between the two. Buttery flakiness giving its soft interior with a golden brown crusty exterior providing a good bite and plenty of crumbs.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please consider giving a star rating. Ratings help others discover my recipes and with the help of your support, it will be greatly appreciated, thank you!Print
Chocolate Chips in every bite with a Banana flavor undertone. These Easy Homemade Scones are just as Flaky and Buttery as those from the bakery.
- 2 2/3 cups (320 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (67 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon (12 grams) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (3 grams) salt
- 8 tablespoons (113 grams) unsalted butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup (160 grams) heavy cream
- 2/3 cup (85 grams) ripe banana (1-2 medium bananas)
- 1 teaspoon (6 grams) vanilla extract
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups (240 to 360 grams) mini chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a large baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Todd in the butter ensuring each piece is coated in flour. Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture until crumbly and no larger than the size of a small pea.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cream, mashed banana and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until a tacky dough begins to form. It should not stick to your hands. Add chocolate chips and continue to mix a few more times.
- On a dry and floured surface, knead the dough about 7 to 10 times or until a ball of dough comes together. If the dough is sticky, sprinkle flour about a tablespoon at a time to where the dough no longer sticks to your hands. Divide the dough in half and form each part into a round at least 1 inch thick in the center. Transfer onto the prepared baking sheet. Using a bench scraper or a long knife, create 4 cuts from one side to the other, all the way through to the bottom of the dough. Do not separate the slices.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Let scones cool completely or until just warm before re-cutting the slices and serving. ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate banana, banana scones, chocolate chip and banana
This recipe was adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe.
See More Scone Varieties