Chocolate Hot Cross Bun Pudding is like a Warm Soft Brownie with Toasted Walnuts throughout, a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream with Drizzled Hot Chocolate Ganache and Fresh Strawberries!
- 2 1/2 cups (600 grams) sugar free oat milk or regular milk
- 1 cup (312 grams) sweetened condensed milk or heavy cream
- 2 cups (448 grams) semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips, divided
- 4 to 5 cups of 1 to 2 day old hot cross buns, sliced 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick or cubed
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (125 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- 4 large (220 grams) eggs
- 1 large (20 grams) egg yolk
- 3 teaspoons (18 grams) pure vanilla extract, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (4 grams) ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup (50 grams) walnuts, chopped and toasted
- 2 scoops vanilla ice cream, optional
- 1/4 cup (36 grams) fresh strawberries, quartered
- 1/2 cup (120 grams) heavy cream
- In a small saucepan over medium high heat, bring oat milk and sweetened condensed milk to a simmer. Remove from heat and slowly pour over 1 cup (224 grams) of chocolate chips. Stir until chocolate is completely melted; set aside.
- Grease bottom and sides of a 13×9 inch (33×23 cm) baking dish with cooking oil. Line bread in pan as desired; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup (100 grams) sugar, eggs, egg yolk, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Slowly pour in 1 cup of chocolate mixture and whisk. Be sure to pour in the mixture slowly to not curdle the eggs. While continuing to whisk, pour the remaining chocolate mixture into the egg mixture to create a chocolate custard. The custard should be thin but thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour half of the chocolate custard onto the arranged bread in the pan. Gently press the bread into the liquid to absorb the custard. Pour the remaining custard over the top. Cover with aluminum foil and allow the bread to stand for 20 minutes to soak up the liquid.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons (25 grams) sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon together. Sprinkled over the bread. Sprinkle 1/2 cup (112 grams) chocolate chips and walnuts. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Bake covered for 30 minutes. Remove aluminum foil and continue to bake for another 30 minutes or until the edges of the bread are crisp to the touch and the chocolate custard begins to thicken.
- In a small saucepan over medium high heat, bring 1/2 cup (120 grams) heavy cream to a simmer. Remove from heat and pour over a bowl of a 1/2 cup (112 grams) of chocolate chips. Stir until all chocolate has fully melted.
- Pour ganache over the finished bread pudding. Garnish with strawberries and serve with a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream. ENJOY!
- If hot cross buns are not available, you may use another bread variety, preferably one that is bland in flavor to not interfere with the chocolate custard flavor.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate hot cross buns, bread pudding, hot cross bun pudding