Chocolaty rich Cookies and Cream Cupcakes are simply divine and super easy to make! With bits of Oreo cookies added to the buttercream, this creates one of my most luscious frostings!
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup water
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 6 to 8 tablespoons milk
- 40 mini (or 10 – 20 regular size) Oreos®
- 24 mini Oreos®, topper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 degrees C). Line 24 muffin wells with a cupcake liner.
- In a large bowl, combine and mix all dry ingredients (sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt).
- In a medium bowl, thoroughly mix eggs, milk, oil, vanilla extract, and water for approximately 2 min.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly for approximately 5 – 7 min until all large bumps are gone. *Note: Small bumps of flour/cocoa may remain present.
- Pour batter into prepared cupcake liners 1/2 – 3/4 full and bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven once a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool before frosting.
- Combine and mix sugar and margarine together until the mixture’s consistency is of a softened paste.
- Mix in vanilla and 6 T of milk. For thinner buttercream icing, add in 2 T milk one tablespoon at a time.
- Now for the fun part! Begin with crushing 10 small (or 5 regular) Oreos in a small bowl. Better to separate the crushed Oreos from the buttercream so you can clearly see if there are some pieces that may need to be broken down further.
- Combine the Oreo crumbs to the buttercream and mix. Taste test. If you want a more chocolate flavor, add more crushed Oreos.
- Lastly, use the remaining 24 Oreos as a topper on each cupcake. Enjoy!
- For the initial buttercream, if it accidentally becomes too thin, add 1/4 C powdered sugar at a time until desired thickness results.
- Refrigerating the buttercream will allow it to stiffen making it easier to hold the desired shape when piping from a pastry bag.
- If using a pastry bag to pipe Cookies & Cream frosting, consider how large your crumbs are. Too large of a crumb may not allow for smooth piping through the bag.
- Recipe may be cut in half for less frosting.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cookies and cream, chocolate cupcakes, oreo buttercream frosting