I am soo over this cold weather. One day it’s 30 degrees out, followed by a tease at 55 and then back down again to a 30 “frigid” degree weather. When. Will. It. Stop?! I keep telling myself, “next year I’m moving down south where it’s hot and I see palms [I have a thing for palm trees!], yea next year.” Has yet to happen. Until then, I like to make myself a little something “tropical” to make me feel like I’m in paradise and coconut’s the trick. However, I wanted something a bit more earthy and the avocados sure did hit the spot.
This ice cream is silky-rich and creamy with the perfect coconut to avocado ratio. At the beginning of each bite, the sweet taste of coconut dominates and as it begins to disappear, the avocado then, heightens giving a buttery flavor and earthy aroma. Wes likes to call it “planty.” I think the term he was looking for was, grassy. As this may be true to those who’ve tried this flavor combination, I still found it to be a delight!
In case you’re wondering what the yellow shards are in the ice cream, it’s browned butter honeycomb brittle. Sooo-so good. The brittle enhances the ice cream’s buttery flavor while giving a crunchy texture. Stay tuned for its recipe!
If you enjoyed this recipe, consider commenting & rating below. I love to see your feedback and help answer any questions. Don’t forget to check below for related recipes.Print
- 2 medium ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 can (7 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (13.5 oz.) coconut milk
- Pit avocados. Scoop flesh into a medium bowl and mash with lemon juice until smooth.
- Add sugar, sweetened condensed milk and coconut milk; stir.
- Cover bowl and chill in refrigerator 2 hours or overnight.
- Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Scrape ice cream into a chilled bowl. Cover and freeze until firm about 2 hours or eat as is. ENJOY!
For best results, make a day ahead and allow to freeze overnight to fully harden.
If you do not have an ice cream maker, copy/paste the link below in your browser to make this ice cream using the bag-technique. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmavyOIQIz0
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cuisine: American
Coconut Avocado Ice Cream recipe was slightly adapted from MyRecipes.com