A Pure White Velvety Coconut Bundt Cake that is as Soft and Pleasant as its Sweet and Nutty Coconut Aroma and is Dairy Free!
I’ve been on a short hiatus from this corner… for a month or [shamefully] should I say, two months? Yikes! With every intent on creating a few healthy twists on classic desserts for the new year, as well as vibrant red and pink Valentine’s day treats, time sure got the best of me. So today, I bring to you a cake I’ve been anxiously wanting to show since Christmas, a snowflake-shaped, Coconut Bundt Cake!
It was either post now or wait till the end of this year. I couldn’t hold off any longer. And I hear some of you are waking up to a beautiful Winter wonderland of snow. I’m actually quite excited for you. I think you can give me a pass on the delay of this one, right?
This snowflake cake pan, hidden in the back of my cabinet for a few years, is truly a gem! I vaguely remember purchasing the pan when I lived in New York and with all of the transitions while settling into my Arizona home, I was finally ready to bring this beauty to the surface.
Creating the whitest cake possible seemed fitting for a snowflake. And what better way in making the arms of the flake fuzzy than with shredded coconut? Perfect for the wintry season!
This cake is dense yet has a soft and smooth, velvety crumb. Gentle on the coconut notes and not overpowering which makes each bite, very enjoyable. If you prefer a finer finish, go without the flakes or sprinkle coconut flakes liberally over the coconut glaze if you desire a more intense flavor. And for maximum flavor and texture, toast the shredded coconut for 5 to 8 minutes in a heated oven set at 325 degrees F. Note that toasting coconut will give a darker appearance.
If you’re feeling the winter blues, don’t fret. I promise I have a sweet surprise coming this week that’ll brighten your day and sparkle your taste buds. Hold on just a little longer. 😉Print
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup flaked or shredded unsweetened coconut
- 4 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- 3 – 4 cups flaked or shredded unsweetened coconut (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Using a baking spray with flour, generously coat the bottom and sides of a 12-cup fluted tube cake pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all cake ingredients together until just combined. Pour batter into cake pan. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a long toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to rest in pan for 15 minutes. Remove cake from pan to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, gently whisk together all glaze ingredients except the flaked or shredded unsweetened coconut.
- Place the coconut cake resting on the cooling rack, over a cookie pan. Slowly pour glaze over the top of the cake allowing excess glaze to drip into the cookie pan. Allow glaze to set; about 10 minutes before repeating a second layer using the glaze drippings.
- If desired, sprinkle flaked or shredded unsweetened coconut over the top and sides of cake before the second layer of glaze sets. Slice, serve and ENJOY!