An apple pie with added flavors of almonds and cranberry, making it sweet and tart with a distinct toasty almond flavor in each and every bite.
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 cups cold unsalted butter, I used Kerrygold
- 1/2 cup cold milk
- 1 tube (7 oz) almond paste
- 4 medium apples, peeled and cut 1/2-inch slices
- 1 – 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon coarse sugar (turbinado or demerara)
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour and sugar. Toss in diced butter and coat with flour mixture.
- Using a pastry blender or long-tined fork cut in cold butter until the mixture becomes crumbly about the size of small peas. Add ¼ cup of milk and continue to cut in and mix the pastry dough. Add additional milk a tablespoon at a time; continue to mix until dough leaves the sides of the bowl and becomes one cohesive mass of dough.
- Divide pastry dough in half and shape each half into a flattened disk. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Over a lightly floured surface, shape almond paste into a disk; set aside. In a large bowl, mix apples, cranberries, sugar, flour, spice and lemon juice together; set aside. Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Once pastry dough has chilled, on a lightly floured surface, roll each pastry dough into a 12-inch circle. Gently place 1 rolled out dough in a 9-inch pie plate letting excess pie dough hang over sides. Use remaining pastry scraps to fill in any gaps or tears. Place flattened almond paste over the bottom pie dough. Layer apple slices over the almond paste, sprinkle cranberries throughout the layered apple slices.
- Cover the apples and cranberries with the second rolled pastry dough. Seal the two doughs by crimping together or use any desired design.
- Brush the top dough with egg wash. Sprinkle sliced almonds and coarse sugar.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until apples soften and crust is deep golden brown. Cool for 1 hour before serving. ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cranberry almond apple pie, fall baking