- 2 cups bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup (2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, diced
- 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 8 large eggs, chilled
- sweetened or unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease bottom and sides of an 8-inch springform pan with baking spray with flour. Wrap the exterior of the pan with 2 long sheets of aluminum foil and set in the center of a roasting pan. Fill roasting pan with boiling water until it reaches up springform pan about half way up the sides; set aside.
- In a large bowl, melt chocolate and butter in microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds; stir. Repeat microwaving at 30-second intervals until about 75 % of chocolate chips have melted. Continue to stir until completely melted. Add coffee and stir to combined; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggs until frothy or doubled in volume, about 5 minutes.
- Fold about 1/3 of the egg foam into the chocolate mixture until no visible streaks are present. Gently fold in remaining egg foam in 2 parts until mixture is completely homogenous.
- Pour batter into springform pan and using an offset spatula, smooth the top of the cake.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until cake is set. The top crust may resemble that of a brownie.
- Remove springform pan from the water bath and set over a wire rack to cool to room temperature.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. About 30 minutes prior to serving, run a butter knife around the sides of the cake to loosen from the springform; release the spring.
- Line strips of parchment paper or scotch tape with the sticky side up, across the top of the cake to create a pattern. Dust cocoa powder first before powdered sugar. Slice and ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Cake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: flourless chocolate cake, gluten free cake, chocolate cake, mousse cake