When you want to enjoy Pumpkin and the Holidays at the same time, you go with this Ginger Cookie and Pumpkin Butterscotch Cream Pie. So creamy dreamy, you just can’t get enough of!
Here in Phoenix the Fall season feels entirely different from back East. There’s no crisp air in the mornings or changing colors of the leaves, or at least it hasn’t happened yet. It’s too warm for hoodie-season and knee-high boots practically don’t exist. I wonder if they’re sold in stores here? * totally being sarcastic*
Nevertheless, scarves, hats and jackets are definitely not needed as the AC hasn’t been off since March. And not that I was ever one who craved “pumpkin-everything” but even this is almost non-existent here. I have yet to see a single person walk around or mention pumpkin -latte or -doughnut or anything pumpkin of that nature. It’s actually a bit odd and a little sad if I pay close attention to these little things. It’s what made Fall feel like Fall and I miss the change of weather. Honestly, if it weren’t for social media, I could have easily forgotten the holidays are around the corner. And that’s a fact!
It’s a good thing before I relocated from New York to Arizona, I had this recipe saved. I still remember clear to this day how rich and creamy this pie was. I loved every bite of it! The ginger cookie crust made from gingersnap cookies from this recipe and it gave the perfect buttery-pepper snap which complimented well with the creamy pumpkin pie and fluffy butterscotch topping.
What I love most, is how easily you can alter the crust and/or topping and still create a great pumpkin pie to your liking. If you prefer an all-butter pie crust such as this one here, you can half the crust ingredients and swap it for the cookie crust. Or perhaps butterscotch is not your thing and that’s okay! With instant pudding available in a variety of flavors, it’s easy to choose one you think will be great over the pumpkin pie. The options are endless. But I still love this one as is and will never forget its smooth creamy flavors of Fall that I truly miss.Print
Ginger Cookie and Pumpkin Butterscotch Cream Pie
- Total Time: 3 hours
- Yield: 9 inch pie 1x
- Diet: Vegetarian
When you want to enjoy Pumpkin and the Holidays at the same time, you go with this Ginger Cookie and Pumpkin Butterscotch Pie. So creamy dreamy, you just can’t get enough of!
Ginger Cookie Crust
- 2 cups (30 cookies) gingersnaps, finely crushed
- 1/3 cup (5.3 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 1/4 cup butterscotch instant pudding and pie filling mix
- Heat oven to 350 F. In a medium bowl, combine all crust ingredients together. Press crumbs onto bottom and sides of a 9-inch round springform baking pan or pie plate.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack to room temperature.
- Increase oven temperature to 450 F. In a large bowl, whisk all filling ingredients until thoroughly combined. Pour pumpkin batter into the ginger cookie lined pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 400°F. If necessary, cover only the crust edge with foil to prevent excessive browning and bake for 15 to 20 minutes longer or until knife inserted into center comes out clean.
- Allow pie to cool on cooling rack for about 1 hour before chilling the pie in the refrigerator for an additional hour.
- In medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until creamy. Beat in whipped topping and butterscotch pudding mix until smooth and creamy. Spread over baked filling.
- Garnish with any remaining ginger cookie crumbs. ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Pie
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: butterscotch pie, cream pie, pumpkin butterscotch, gingersnap crust, fall baking
Cookie crust recipe adapted from Hazelnut Chocolate Cheescake
Pumpkin Filling recipe adapted from Pumpkin Butterscotch Cream Tart
Fall Pies to Bake