Gingerbread Cupcakes with a robust aroma and captivating flavor of cinnamon-ginger and molasses that’s beautifully softened with a silky smooth Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground all-spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1/2 cup hot milk
BROWN SUGAR CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 8 ounces PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- CUPCAKES: Heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Place a cupcake liner into each of the 12 cupcake wells; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, all-spice, salt and nutmeg; set aside.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Mix in the egg and molasses until just combined.
- While the electric mixer is ON at low speed, slowly add in the flour mixture alternating with milk beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Continue to mix on low to medium speed until just combined. Fill each cupcake liner about 1/2 full which is about 1/4 cup of batter.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool over a wire rack to room temperature before adding the frosting.
- FROSTING: Meanwhile, in a large bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat all frosting ingredients together until smooth.
- ASSEMBLY: In a large piping bag fill the bag about 3/4 full, twist the wide-end opening of the bag to push down and seal in the frosting. Cut the tip of the bag to create a hole about 1/2 inch (1.3 cm) in diameter.
- With the cupcake on the counter, use your dominant hand to hold the piping bag vertically, a 90 degree angle from the cupcake. Gently squeeze the back of the bag to push frosting onto the cupcake. Continue to push the frosting through until a large “cloud” begins to form. Before releasing the bag away from the frosting, repeat again pushing less frosting through to create a second smaller cloud on top of the bottom cloud. Lift and release to create a peak. If desired, sprinkle cinnamon. ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Cupcakes
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gingerbread cupcakes, gingerbread, cream cheese frosting, brown sugar frosting