Adorable Heart Shaped Cookies Naturally Sweetened with Honey and made with Carob making this Treat Perfectly Safe for your Pooch!
- 1 cup (117 grams) whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup (33 grams) cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons (24 grams) carob powder
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water (add more water if needed)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 large egg (50 grams)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (27 grams) peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) honey
- 1/2 cup (73 grams) cornstarch
- 1/2 cup (132 grams) low fat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon (8 grams) pure honey
- CAROB COOKIES: Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (205 degrees Celsius) and line 2 cookie cookie trays with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal and carob together; set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix water, oil, egg, peanut butter, and honey. Combine and mix the dry ingredients into the wet mixture to form a ball of dough.
- Over a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to about 1/4 inch (6 millimeters) thick and cut out shapes with desired cookie cutters.
- Bake for 15 minutes and allow to cool in oven for approximately 10 minutes until cookies harden.
- GLAZE: In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch, yogurt and honey until smooth. Using an angled spatula spread a thin layer of glaze over each cookie or use a piping (pastry) bag fitted with a small round tip to pipe glaze over the top of each cookie. Over the surface of a counter, gently shake the cookie side to side to set the glaze evenly. Keep glazed cookies in the fridge to dry for 4 hours or overnight. Best served chilled.
- Cookies should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Shelf life is approximately 1 to 2 weeks. After a few days, glaze on top of the cookies may begin to “crack.” The cookies are still good.
- For large breed dogs, use larger cookie cutter shapes. For small breed dogs or for dogs in training, use smaller shaped cookie cutters.
- **Note: All dog foods found on URBAN BAKES has been tested by me (yes, I try it too!) and is ensured all ingredients are dog-safe through credible sources and veterinarians. However, there are several allergies and/or intolerances that can develop over time which may include and is not limited to certain proteins, corn, wheat and soy. Please check with your veterinarian if your pet can consume any of the listed ingredients found in this recipe.**
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dog Snacks
- Cuisine: American