- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon grapefruit peel, grated
- 3 tablespoons grapefruit juice
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons grapefruit peel, grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, for dusting
- 1 medium grapefruit, peeled and sliced
- In a 1-quart saucepan, whisk sugar and cornstarch together. Mix in water and egg yolks until no lumps remain. Bring mixture to a boil and continue to stir until it begins to thicken. Cook for 1 minute and remove from heat.
- Whisk in grated peel and juice until curd become uniform in texture, about 2-3 minutes. No straining is necessary.
- Transfer curd to a dry bowl and refrigerate uncovered for 20 minutes. Once removed, stir one time before filling the cake.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 350 degrees F. Using a baking spray with flour, generously coat the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan; set aside over a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add flour, peel, baking powder and vanilla and mix until just combined.
- Pour half the batter into the springform pan. Spoon curd evenly over the batter, spreading just up to 1/2 inch from the edge. Drop spoon the remaining cake batter starting from the edge of the curd working towards the center. Use an angled spatula to evenly spread batter towards the center of the cake to cover the curd.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until center is set, cake is golden brown. Center of cake may sink slightly. Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes before releasing the spring and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, cake may be store in fridge.
- Dust powdered sugar over the top of cake and decorate with peeled grapefruit slices just before serving. ENJOY!
If grapefruit is unavailable, substitute using an alternate citrus fruit.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour`