Light and Airy Fried Heart Shaped Donuts Stuffed with Oozing Whipped Nutella Cream are Soft, Pillowy Clouds of Heaven. Make them for that special someone or just because! They won’t disappoint!
- 1 cup warm milk (105°F to 115°F or 40°C to 46°C)
- 4 1/2 teaspoons (14 grams) fast acting dry yeast
- 4 1/2 to 5 cups (540 to 600 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups (300 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs (150 grams)
- 1/3 cup (71 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 5 cups (1120 grams) vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (148 grams) Nutella or any hazelnut chocolate spread
- 1/4 cup (60 grams) heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons (56 grams) salted butter
- In a large bowl attached to an electric stand mixer, gently stir warm milk with dry yeast until just combined. Allow yeast to dissolve; about 2-5 minutes. Add 2 cups (240 grams) flour, 1/2 cup (100 grams) sugar, salt and eggs. Set the mixer on low to medium speed for 1 minute to combine the ingredients. Increase speed to medium, add butter 1 tablespoon (14 grams) at a time mixing well after each addition. Stir in remaining flour 1/2 cup (60 grams) at a time until a soft dough begins to form.
- On a clean, dry and lightly floured surface, knead dough for 2 minutes or until the dough is smooth and springy. Dough should feel moist and tacky but not stick to your fingers. In a large bowl, spray inside with cooking oil. Place the dough inside and flip to allow the top of the dough to cover in oil. Cover loosely and allow the dough to rise in a warm, draft-free environment till the dough doubles in size, about 1 hour 45 minutes.
- Lay parchment paper on a cookie sheet; set aside. Line 2 cooling racks with paper towel; set aside. Heat oil to 325°F (162°C) in Dutch oven or a heavy bottomed pot. Oil should fill the pot at least 2 inches from the bottom.
- Lightly punch down dough to release its gas and transfer onto a lightly floured surface. Roll dough out to about 1 to 1 1/2 cm thick. Dip cookie cutter into flour and press and cut out dough and place onto the parchment-lined cookie sheet. Continue to cut out dough until all dough is used.
- Fry 4 to 5 doughnuts at a time in the oil for about 1 minute per side or until golden brown on both sides. Using a slotted spoon, remove fried doughnuts from oil and transfer onto the paper towel-lined cooling rack to dry and cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whip Nutella, heavy cream and vanilla until just combined. Fit a pastry (piping) bag with a writing tip and fill with Nutella cream. Insert the writing tip halfway through the cooled doughnut. Squeeze filling until there is resistance (push back) from the filling; about 1 tablespoon. The doughnut should feel plump and heavier once filled.
- In a medium bowl, pour 1 cup sugar. In a custard dish, melt salted butter. Dip pastry brush in butter and brush coat the doughnuts and dip into sugar while wet. Shake off excess. ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 3 hours
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Nutella, Donut, Doughnuts, Chocolate filled doughnuts