Delicately Sweet Lemon Cupcakes are capped with a Unique Fresh and Creamy Lemon Mascarpone Frosting. Perfect for those moments when you want to indulge in a light but luscious treat.
- 2 1/2 cups (305 grams) fine pastry flour
- 1 1/3 cups (266 grams) granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 teaspoons (14 grams) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (6 grams) salt
- 3/4 cup (180 grams) buttermilk
- 2/3 cup (160 grams) vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) fresh lemon juice
- 3 large egg whites (105 grams)
- zest of 2 lemons (14 grams)
LEMON MASCARPONE FROSTING
- 2 cups (480 grams) heavy cream
- 1/4 cup (29 grams) powdered sugar
- 8 ounces (226 grams) mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) fresh lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon (7 grams)
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line 18 cupcake wells with cupcake liner; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a separate large bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed, mix buttermilk, oil, lemon juice, eggs and zest until liquid becomes a homogenous blend, about 1 minute.
- Slowly pour liquid mixture in with the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Avoid overmixing. Pour about 1/4 cup of batter into each cupcake liner; about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes, rotating pans about halfway through baking. Cupcakes are ready when a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry with just a few crumbs. Allow cupcakes to cool on a wire rack to room temperature before frosting.
- Meanwhile, in a large chilled bowl using an electric mixer, beat heavy cream, powdered sugar and lemon juice until soft peaks begin to form. Add in mascarpone cheese and continue to mix until stiff peaks form.
- In a piping bag fitted with a 1M star tip, fill the bag with frosting and pipe in a circular motion beginning from the edge and working upwards toward the center. As you approach the tip, begin to release pressure and pull straight upward to form a tip. Sprinkle with lemon zest. ENJOY!
I used Bob’s Red Mill for fine pastry flour. If you do not have fine pastry flour, you may substitute for all-purpose flour.
I used 3 tablespoons Saco buttermilk powder mixed in with 3/4 cup water. Alternatively, you can mix the buttermilk powder in with the dry ingredients and add the water with the liquid ingredients.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Cupcakes
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lemon cupcakes, lemon mascarpone frosting, lemon frosting