Soft and luscious Chocolate Banana Bread sweetened with pure maple is studded with toasted pecans throughout. For any chocolate banana lover, this is the perfect sweet escape.
- 1 1/2 cups (210 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (37 grams) ground flaxseed, optional
- 1/4 cup (20 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (8 grams) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (152 grams) maple butter or 1 cup (240 grams) maple syrup
- 2 large eggs (100 grams)
- 1 1/2 cups (255 grams) 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup (125 grams) buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) pure vanilla extract
- 6 oz (170 grams) semisweet chocolate, melted and divided
- 1 1/4 cups (140 grams) chopped pecans, toasted and divided
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Coat the bottom and sides of a 9×5 inch (23×13 cm) loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray with flour. Line the pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil with extra overhang over the long edge; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, flaxseed (optional), cocoa, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment or an electric mixer on low to medium speed, beat butter and maple until just combined. It should resemble a light cream color and texture. Add eggs one at a time and continue to beat until well combined. Mix in banana, buttermilk and vanilla until just combined. Note the batter will appear lumpy; no need to overmix. Stir in 4 oz (113 grams) of melted chocolate.
- Reduce the speed of the mixer to low and gradually add the flour mixture and continue to mix until just combined. Stir in 1 cup (112 grams) of chopped pecans. Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until a wooden skewer inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean or with a few dry crumbs. Tip: to ensure doneness, insert a clean skewer in 2 to 3 different areas around the center of the loaf. Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes before carefully removing it onto a wire rack for further cooling.
- Drizzle the remaining melted chocolate over the top of the bread and sprinkle with the remaining chopped pecans. Best served warm with a smear of salted butter or maple butter. ENJOY!
- To toast pecans, first ensure they’re chopped to the desired size. Set the oven to 200°F (93°C) and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Evenly spread pecans across the prepared baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Bread
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: maple butter in banana bread, chocolate banana bread, double chocolate banana bread, maple pecan banana bread, maple syrup in banana bread