- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup wheat bran
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Grade A maple syrup, separated
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with a silicone baking mat; set aside. In a medium bowl whisk oats, wheat bran, both flours and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a large saucepan over low heat, stir in applesauce, pumpkin, maple syrup and oil and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- Add in flour-mixture and mix until a dough forms. Divide dough in half.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one-half of dough to about a ¼-inch thick. Use desired cookie cutter shapes to press into dough. Use a smaller cookie cutter and press about half way through cut-out to make an indentation. Place each cut-out onto the lined baking sheets about ⅓-inch apart. Repeat rolling of dough and cut-outs for remaining half of dough.
- In a small bowl, whisk 2 tablespoons of maple syrup and 2 tablespoons of water. Generously brush the tops of each cookie cut-out.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Transfer cookies onto a wire rack and allow to cool until room temperature. Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.
There are several dog allergies and/or intolerances that can develop over time which may include and is not limited to certain proteins, corn, wheat and soy. Please check with your veterinarian if your pet can consume any of the listed ingredients found in this recipe.
Please give a portion of pupkin snaps that is appropriate for the size of your pet. For large breed dogs, use larger cookie cutter shapes. For small breed dogs or in training, use smaller shaped cookie cutters.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Canine