Two of America’s favorite desserts are the classic cheesecake and ice cream so why not put the two together? Makes sense, right? That’s just what I did for today’s Sundae Sunday; ice cream cheesecake.
For someone who’s not a fan of cream cheese or cheesecakes I was surprised at how addicting this creamy concoction was and I just couldn’t get enough. Luck was by my side when company came over yesterday afternoon (a perfect way to pawn off my desserts) so I was able to rid one of the ice cream cheesecakes.
This itty-bitty cake recipe makes four mini cakes. I decided to make three (shown below), saving the last for a moment of a more saltier craving. Naturally, this cheesecake ice cream is a bit on the salty side but when paired with a buttered Oreo cookie crumb, it’s becomes packed with tantalizing flavor that makes you want to forget about that diet you were trying to maintain. It’s well worth it, every bite!
Step-by-step instructions on how to make Mini Frozen Ice Cream Cheesecakes:
- Add melted butter to crushed Oreo cookie crumbs using the following ratio: 1 C Oreo crumbs : 2 T melted butter. Pat down buttered Oreo cookie crumbs in four 4-inch springform cake pans. Cover in plastic wrap with the aid of a rubber band (shown in photo 4) and freeze for 10 minutes to allow cookie crumb coat to set.
- In the meantime, make ice cream. (Recipe can be found below)
- Remove cake pans from freezer and quickly spoon ready made ice cream into pans up to 1/4 inch from lip of pans.
- Cover again using the same plastic wrap as in step 1 and freeze for 1-2 hours or longer.
To remove ice cream cheesecakes once they are completely frozen, use a knife to carve in between the ice cream and the side of the springform cake pan for easy removal.
Release the spring. Use a wide spatula to remove the metal bottom of cake pan (not shown) and rest cake on a plate.
Now it’s time to dress it up! But hurry, it will melt. If ice cream drips such as the above photo, a butter knife or angled spatula works well to glide it across the sides of the cake.
Now you can top your ice cream cheesecakes with your favorite toppings! Use a variety of berries or top it with your favorite candies, hot chocolate fudge or caramel drizzle just to name a few .Print
- 12 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup mascarpone, room temperature (optional)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In large bowl, use a hand mixer on medium speed and mix the cream cheese until the texture is smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add sugar and salt to the creamed cheese and mix thoroughly on medium speed for another minute.
- At this time, add in mascarpone cheese and mix until well combined (optional). Add milk and vanilla and mix until smooth. Fold in sour cream.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or overnight.
- Based on your machine, follow the directions as described. NOTE: if this recipe calls for more batter than your machine can make, divide batter in half making one-half of the batter at a time. Remember that the bowl must be cleaned and refrozen prior to second use.
- Pour into the ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions (approximately 15-20 minutes). NOTE: if recipe calls for more batter than your machine’s limit, divide batter. Remember freezer bowl must be cleaned and refrozen prior to each subsequent use.
- For thicker ice cream, place into an air tight container and freeze for 2 or more hours.
- If making by bag version, you may follow the same quantities of ingredients. Divide batter into smaller portions into the sandwich bag to prevent overflow.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
Mini Frozen Ice Cream Cheesecakes recipe adapted slightly from Cuisinart.