The New York Style Cheesecake is a traditional classic. Its simplicity speaks loud. Big, Bold & Beautiful with a unique floured crust giving each 2-inch-thick bite a mouthful of THE most deliciously creamy cheesecake EVER!
Oh you didn’t hear?! July 30th is National Cheesecake Day!
C’mon, you HAVE to know this. And if you did already know, are you about sick of it hearing it by now?
I can only imagine you’ve probably heard about this crazy US food holiday at least once today before reaching this post. And why is that? Because a HUGE group of us, food bloggers, have joined together in creating cheesecakes just for you. There’s more than 60 of us!
I feel like the internet and all social media just had a major cheesecake explosion. BOOSH!! And I’m just as guilty for being a part of it. 🙂
I may be a little biased here but isn’t the New York Style Cheesecake a classic?! I don’t eat cheesecakes enough to know but I can’t seem to think of a more simple, more classic cheesecake than this. If you know of one, don’t hesitate to let me know. Until then…
I’m reppin New York with this cheesecake!
Now I’m going to be perfectly honest about the making of this simple beauty.
You may have heard horror stories about cheesecakes cracking and I’ve been there. A little more than a year ago to be exact. After all the prepping and baking, the damn thing CRACKED right down the center! Can you imagine?! I wanted to take that cheesecake and throw it against the wall! Don’t worry, I didn’t but I really wanted to. So much cream cheese goes into a cheesecake, it was painful to see it go to waste. Sure I had a piece but it wasn’t good enough to post here.
So this leads to my point… THIS cheesecake is actually really simple to make. Follow the directions exactly as is and you’ll be good. Remember to NOT poke the cake to check readiness and don’t jip the cooling directions. There’s a reason why it’s a long process.
If you follow these directions as is, you’ll have yourself one hell of a deliciously creamy cheesecake. I even had the doormen downstairs tell me they thought it was better than Juniors!! Ain’t that something!
Did you enjoy this recipe? Consider rating and commenting below. I love to see your feedback and help answer any questions you may have. And don’t forget to check below for related recipes.Print
It’s simplicity speaks loud… Big, Bold & Beautiful with a unique floured crust giving each 2-inch-thick bite a mouthful of THE most deliciously creamy cheesecake EVER!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 5 (8 oz.) packages *Neufchâtel cheese, softened
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease bottom and sides of a 9-inch round, springform baking pan and place over a cookie sheet; set aside.
- In a medium bowl using a pastry cutter or a long-tinned fork, cut butter into the flour, sugar and 2 egg yolks until a solid ball of dough forms.
- Press about 1/3 of the dough onto the bottom of the baking pan. Release and remove the spring; set aside. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until light golden brown. Allow to cool for a few minutes. Assemble sides of pan with the bottom.
- Press the remaining dough about 2-inches up the sides of the pan. Double line the outside of the baking pan with foil to prevent leakage. Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat cheese until smooth. Beat in sugar, flour and salt until smooth. On low speed, beat in whole eggs and 2 egg yolks and cream until well blended.
- Pour batter into crust. Be sure to stop about 1/4-inch from top rim of the crust. The cheesecake will rise slightly and then sink once cooled.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 450 degrees F. Then, reduce temperature to 200 degrees F and bake for 1 hour 25 minutes to 1 hour 40 minutes longer or until set. Cheesecake should remain firm 2-inch from sides of cake with the center jiggling slightly when moved. Note: The cheesecake will set upon cooling. Do NOT poke holes in the cheesecake – this may cause cracking.
- Once baking is complete, allow cheesecake to cool in the oven turned off for 30 minutes.
- Remove cheesecake and allow it to cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes with sides of the pan still in tact.
- Run a butterknife along the outside perimeter of the crust to loosen from the sides of the pan. Refrigerate uncovered for 3 hours or until chilled.
- Cover and continue to chill for 9 hours or more in the refrigerator.
- Run knife along the outside perimeter of the crust one last time. Release the spring. Using a clean, dry paper towel, lightly dab the top of the cheesecake to absorb any moisture. Cut into 8 equal slices and serve with a strawberry topping or any fruit desired. ENJOY!
Crust portion of the original recipe was doubled to give cheesecake a more stable foundation.
Regular cream cheese may be substituted for Neufchâtel cheese. (I prefer Neufchâtel cheese because it’s naturally 1/3 less fat than cream cheese)
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours
New York Style Cheesecake recipe was adapted from (p. 218) Betty Crocker Cookbook or http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/new-york-cheesecake/d5b33ff2-9f49-4414-bda4-4ce2fcd5cd29.
Here are over 50 other bloggers and their fabulous cheesecakes!
- Blueberry Ricotta Cream Cheesecake from Hungry Couple
- Caramel Macchiato Cheesecake from Wishes and Dishes
- Chocolate Cheesecake w/ Whisky Toffee Shards from girlichef
- Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Cheesecake from Savvy Eats
- Coconut Cheesecake with Macadamia Crust from All Day I Dream About Food
- Hawaiian Chantilly Layer Cheesecake from Wallflour Girl
- Hawaiian Mini Cheesecakes from Pint Sized Baker
- Lemon Cheesecake from Shugary Sweets
- Lemon Ginger Panna Cotta Cheesecake with Blueberry Sauce from Girl Versus Dough
- Lightened Up Apricot-Swirl Cheesecake from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Lilikoi Cheesecake with Macadamia Nut Shortbread Crust from Dieter’s Downfall
- Mango Cheesecake (vegan) from Jessiker Bakes
- Mini cheesecakes with a toasted coconut crust (gluten free) from Quarter Life (Crisis) Cuisine
- Mini Mascarpone Cheesecakes with Strawberry Balsamic Topping from Boulder Locavore
- Mom’s Cheesecake from Magnolia Days
- New York Style Cheesecake from URBAN BAKES
- Oreo Ripple Cheesecake from Overtime Cook
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake with Nutella Ganache Topping from The Redhead Baker
- Pear cheesecake with gingersnap crust from Roxana’s Home Baking
- Pumpkin Cheesecake from Lady Behind The Curtain
- Rainbow Cheesecake from In Katrina’s Kitchen
- Raspberry Cheesecake with Oreo Crust from Hip Foodie Mom
- Ricotta Cheesecake from French Press
- Salted Caramel Apple Cheesecake from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- S’mores Cheesecake from The Gunny Sack
- Snickers Cheesecake from Life, Love and Sugar
- Vanilla Bean Cheesecake from Wine & Glue
- Very Berry Cheesecake with Chocolate Oreo Crust from JavaCupcake
- White Chocolate Cheesecake with Macadamia Nuts and Caramel from Taste and Tell
- White Chocolate Frangelico Cheesecake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- White Chocolate Raspberry Swirl Cheesecake from Will Cook For Smiles
No Bake Cheesecakes:
- Butter Pecan Caramel No-Bake Mini Cheesecakes from Simply Southern Baking
- Cherry and Pistachio No Bake Cheesecake with Animal Cracker Crust from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Mini No Bake Lime Cheesecakes from Miss in the Kitchen
- Neapolitan No Bake Cheesecake from Grandbaby Cakes
- No-Bake Berry Cheesecake from Food Lust People Love
- No Bake Dulce de Leche Cheesecake with Caramelized Peaches from The Food Charlatan
- No-Bake Limoncello Cheesecake from Cake Duchess
- No Bake Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake from White Lights on Wednesday
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Cheesecake from Crunchy Creamy Sweet
- No Bake Peanut Butter Cheesecake from Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Black Raspberry Cheesecake Milkshake from Blahnik Baker
- Caramel Cheesecake Martini from Happy Food, Healthy Life
Cheesecake Cookies and Bars:
- Caramel Overload Cheesecake Bars from Crumbs and Chaos
- Cherry Cheesecake Brownies from Inside BruCrew Life
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake Bars from Chez CateyLou
- Healthier Peanut Butter Cheesecake Brownie Bars from Texanerin Baking
- Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Bars from Cooking In Stilettos
- No Bake Coconut Lime Cheesecake Bars from Beyond Frosting
- No Bake Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Bars from Garnish with Lemon
- Strawberry Chocolate Ganache Cheesecake Bars from A Kitchen Addiction
Cheesecake Desserts and Treats:
- Banana Foster No Bake Cheesecake Shooters from Mind Over Batter
- Key Lime Trifles from Hoosier Homemade
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pots from Barbara Bakes
- Triple Brigadeiro Cheesecake Tart from From Brazil To You
Frozen Cheesecakes and Treats:
- Blackberry Cheesecake Popsicles from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Chocolate Caramel Cheesecake Ice Cream from Chocolate Moosey
- Frozen PB&C Cheesecake from Noshing With The Nolands
- Frozen Peanut Butter Cheesecake with Nutter Butter Crust from Crazy for Crust