Enhancing the classic flavor of Chai into Muffins by adding a Light Citrus Zest and studded with Pomegranate Arils. All blanketed with a Naturally Pink Colored Pomegranate-Chai Glaze which Beautifully Overflows the Muffin Tops.
- 1 cup milk
- 2 chai spice tea bags
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup pomegranate arils
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/8 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pomegranate juice
- 1 teaspoon chai milk*
CANDIED ORANGE SLICES
- 2 navel orange, sliced lengthwise 1 mm thin
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12 to 15 cupcake wells with cupcake liners; set aside.
- In a small saucepan over low-medium heat, bring milk, contents of chai tea bags and cinnamon stick to a simmer. Remove from heat and set aside to cool to room temperature. *Reserve 1 tablespoon of chai milk to be used for glaze.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, orange peel, salt, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger and cloves; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk sugar and eggs for 45 seconds or until the mixture thickens.
- Using a fine mesh sieve over the sugar-egg mixture, slowly strain milk to remove contents from tea. Gradually whisk in melted butter, oil and vanilla until just combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into the flour mixture and fold until just combined. Note: do NOT over mix; lumps or flour streaks may remain. Divide batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups; about 1/4 cup batter per muffin cup.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out dry. Allow to cool in pans for about 5 to 10 minutes before removing onto a wire rack for additional cooling.
- In a medium pan over medium-high heat, bring 1 cup water and 1 cup granulated sugar to a light boil; stir to dissolved sugar.
- Reduce heat to low and lay orange slices in pan allowing each to soak in sugar-syrup. Cook slices for 30 to 40 minutes or until the rind of the orange slices becomes translucent.
- Remove slices from syrup and lay to cool over a wire rack to room temperature. To create twists, while still warm, cut 1 slit into the center of the slice. Grab from the 2 corners of the slit and lightly pull in opposite directions to create the twist. Position candied orange twists upward until cooled and hardened.
- In a small bowl, whisk powdered sugar, pomegranate juice and 1 teaspoon of reserved chai milk* until smooth. If glaze is too thick, add more chai milk 1 teaspoon at a time to thin its consistency. Pour over cooled muffins. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pomegranate glaze, chai muffins, candied orange