A Melt in Your Mouth, Silky Soft and Velvety Loaf Cake with Beautiful Swirls of Pumpkin and Chocolate. Blanketed with an Irresistible Zesty, Fresh Orange Glaze.
- 1 3/4 cups (210 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (4 grams) pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 grams) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (3 grams) salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups (250 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (245 grams) pumpkin puree
- 3 oz (85 grams) dark chocolate, melted
- 2 tablespoons (12 grams) Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups (135 grams) powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons (30 to 45 ml) fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Coat a 9×5-inch or 8×4-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray with flour; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together, flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and sugar until just combined. Whisk in butter, buttermilk and vanilla. Fold in pumpkin puree.
- Add pumpkin-mixture to the flour-mixture. Whisk until just combined ensuring no dry flour pockets remain.
- Divide batter in half. Add melted chocolate and cocoa powder to half the batter; set aside. Alternately pour batter into prepared pan. Using a knife, cut through batter and swirl.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a wooden skewer inserted in center of loaf cake comes out clean or with a few dry crumbs. Allow cake to cool in pan for 20 minutes before removing onto a wire rack for further cooling to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons (30 ml) orange juice until smooth. If too dry, add another tablespoon (15 ml) of juice. Poor glaze over the top of the cooled cake and garnish with orange zest. Slice and ENJOY!
Regular cocoa powder can be substituted for Dutch process cocoa powder.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate pumpkin cake, marbled cake, swirl, loaf cake