Easy One-Bowl Pumpkin Bourbon Custards are Spiced and Spiked to Perfection. Dollop with Bourbon Whipped Cream and a Small Serving of a Caramel-Like Walnut Brittle to give a Wonderful Crunch to this Fall Flavored Creamy Treat!
- 15 oz (425 grams) pumpkin puree
- 14 oz (397 grams) fat free sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) bourbon
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) water
- 1 tablespoon (14 grams) unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of Kosher salt or any coarse salt
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) toasted walnut brittle, chopped
BOURBON WHIPPED CREAM
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) heavy cream
- 1 to 2 (15 to 30 ml) tablespoons bourbon
- 1 tablespoon (13 grams) granulated sugar
- CUSTARD: Heat oven to 325°F (160°C). Using vegetable oil or cooking spray, coat the bottom and sides of 6 (6 oz) ramekins; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix sweetened condensed milk, eggs, bourbon, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice and salt until smooth. Evenly pour batter into each ramekin.
- In a 13×9 inch pan carefully fill about 1/3 to 1/2 way full with hot water. Gently place each ramekin into the pan. Ensure the water does not rise higher than 1/2 inch (1 1/4 cm) from the rim of the ramekins.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Carefully transfer ramekins to a cooling rack to allow custards to cool completely.
- Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours
- BRITTLE: Using vegetable oil or butter lightly coat a baking sheet. Alternatively, place a silicone baking mat over the baking sheet and set aside.
- In a small saucepan on medium heat, bring sugar, corn syrup and water to a light rolling boil. Do not stir. Continue to boil until sugar is completely dissolved and liquid begins to turn to a golden-amber color, about 5 to 10 minutes. Note: Around the 5 minute mark or when a candy thermometer approaches 300°F (150°C), keep an eye out. The color of the caramel liquid can quickly change within seconds from amber to an undesirable dark brown color.
- Immediately remove pan from heat and stir in butter, baking soda and walnuts; mix until fully coated. Transfer and evenly spread onto the baking sheet.
- Allow brittle to cool for about 10 minutes. When hardened, break brittle into small pieces; set aside.
- WHIPPED CREAM: In a medium bowl using an electric mixer, whisk on high heavy cream, 1 tablespoon (15 ml) bourbon and sugar to soft peaks. Taste test. If more bourbon is desired, add remaining bourbon. Continue to whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Remove chilled custards from fridge, place a dollop of whipped cream and sprinkle pieces of brittle on top. ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin custard, fall baking, bourbon