Velvety Red Chocolate Brownies with Swirls of Creamy-Smooth Cheesecake
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 3/4 cups (350 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup (40 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs (165 grams), divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (9 grams) pure vanilla extract, divided
- 1 ounce (28 grams) red food coloring, divided
- 3/4 cup (90 grams) all-purpose flour
- 8 oz (226 grams) cream cheese, softened
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line an 8 in (20 cm) square baking pan with aluminum foil leaving excess foil hang over two opposite sides for easy removal. Grease and flour bottom and sides of the foil; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk butter, 1 1/2 cups (300 grams) sugar and cocoa for 1 minute. Beat in 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon (6 grams) vanilla and 1/2 ounce (14 grams) of red food gel coloring; mix until red coloring is evenly dispersed into batter. Add more coloring if a deeper red color is desired.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in flour until no visible dry flour pockets remain. In a small bowl, reserve 1/2 cup of batter. Pour and evenly spread the larger portion of remaining batter into the baking pan; set aside.
- In a medium bowl using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add 1/4 cup (50 grams) sugar, 1 egg and 1/2 teaspoon (3 grams) vanilla; continue to mix until smooth.
- Pour 3 lines of cream cheese mixture over red batter. Using a toothpick or knife, gently swirl cream cheese throughout the batter. Pour remaining 1/2 cup red batter over any large spots of cream cheese and swirl. Note: batter will be thick and gaps may appear during the swirling process which will disappear upon baking.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. ENJOY!
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: red velvet, cheesecake, brownies