- 2 boxes red velvet cake mix
- eggs (as directed on box)
- oil (as directed on box)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1–2 teaspoons chocolate extract (optional)
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 fresh rose (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour bottom and sides of 2 8-inch cake pans; set aside.
- In large bowl, mix all cake ingredients together; do not over mix, small lumps of batter is okay.
- Pour batter of evenly into cake pans (1 box of cake batter per 8-inch pan) and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a chilled large bowl, mix sugar, cocoa, vanilla and chocolate extract.
- Add cream cheese and beat on low speed for 15 to 30 seconds. Gradually increase speed to medium and beat cream cheese until smooth and has full incorporated the chocolate mixture.
- Add heavy cream and beat on high speed until stiff peaks form. Check frequently to prevent overbeating.
- Once cakes have cooled, cut rounded tops to make a flat even surface. Additional cooling may be required at this point.
- On a cake plate above a turntable, invert cake so cut side is facing down, frost the top.
- Place second cake on top, gently press down to release any air bubbles between the layers and generously frost the top allowing excess frosting to run over sides. Frost the sides.
- Using a bench scraper or angled spatula, position it flat along the side of the cake and perpendicular to the table. Use one hand to slowly move the turntable while other hand holds the spatula in place. This will remove excess frosting while giving the cake its straight edge.
- Adjust frosting on top if needed. Garnish with edible fresh rose petals. ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes