- 1 box white cake mix (I used vanilla bean cake mix)
- 1 (3 oz. box) strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup mashed strawberries
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 to 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 10 sliced and hulled fresh strawberries
- 1 whole strawberry
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour two 4-inch and two 6-inch round cake pans; set aside.
- In large bowl, combine cake mix, gelatin, water and oil; set aside.
- In medium bowl, beat egg whites using a hand mixer until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in egg whites and strawberries into cake mixture until just blended. Do not over mix. Pour half full into baking pans.
- Bake for 20 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of each cake comes out clean. Cool onto a wire rack for 15 minutes before inverting cake for additional cooling.
- Meanwhile, in a large chilled bowl, beat heavy cream and 1 tablespoon of sugar until soft peaks form. Add an additional tablespoon of sugar if desired. Continue beating whipped cream until stiff peaks form.
- Frost tops and sides of cakes once cooled to the touch.
- Garnish sliced strawberries starting at the perimeter. At each subsequent row, layer each sliced berry in between and half way above the previous layer working inward towards the center. At the center, place a whole strawberry upside down. Serve and ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes