This pleasantly warm and delicious no-bake malt chocolate pudding cake couldn’t get any more simple in the making!
Can you believe this is the first time I’ve made anything with a slow cooker?! Yes, you’ve read that right! I have finally brought to you, URBAN BAKES’ first slow cooker recipe!
I swear, sometimes I feel as if I’ve been living under a rock when it comes to small kitchen appliances and I say this because I was raised simple. Microwave, toaster and…. I think that’s it. None of this fancy schmancy tools they have now for deep frying, or for creating waffles, or homemade ice cream. And don’t get me wrong; I’m not complaining. I love this thing! The slow cooker is one heck of a genius piece of equipment.
Great for Summer months as I now live in the desert (which means my “East coast summer” started back in the beginning of March!). It’s a no brainer here to utilize this as much as possible during this time of the year. So expect to see more slow cooker recipes coming 🙂
But to not go off on a tangent of how impressed I am about the endless creations with now owning a slow cooker [huge smile], I want to focus back on this delicious cake! After all, I’m pretty sure that’s why you’re here.
Inspired by the delicately warm Chocolate Fudge Cake, the inclusion of malt is a simple yet innovative way of giving depth to the traditional chocolate flavor. In addition, the process of cooking a sponge cake rather than baking one has been a goal of mine since the first time it was seen at this food conference. (Now I check this off my cooking bucket list)Print
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped malted milk balls
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup malted milk powder
- 1 1/4 cups boiling water
- vanilla bean ice cream, optional
- Using a baking spray with flour, generously coat bottom and sides of a 3-qt. slow cooker; set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together milk, oil and vanilla. In a medium bowl, stir together all-purpose flour, brown sugar, cocoa and baking powder. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the milk-mixture until just blended. Stir in malted milk balls and chocolate chips. Spoon batter into the greased slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, stir together sugar, milk powder and boiling water. Pour over batter but do not stir.
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Allow cake to rest for 15 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and sprinkled with chopped malted milk balls.
ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED AS CHOCOLATE MALT PUDDING CAKE IN TASTE OF HOME EVERYDAY SLOW COOKER & ONE DISH RECIPES ANNUAL 2012, P86