These snickerdoodle cupcakes are moist with a tender cinnamon crumb. It’s like having a soft puffed cookie but even better, there’s vanilla cinnamon sugar frosting and you can’t beat that!
- 1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (5 oz.) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup (10.6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2–4 tablespoons fat-free milk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Place paper baking cup into each of the 24 regular sized muffin cups; set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix remaining 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar, remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon, flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir evaporated milk, sour cream, butter, vanilla and eggs. Pour this mixture into the flour mixture and mix until well blended.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared baking cups filling 1/2 to 3/4 full to rim.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 1 minute in muffin pans before transferring each cupcake to a wire rack for additional cooling.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, mix powdered sugar and butter until blended. NOTE: Initially it may be very crumbly.
- Mix in vanilla and 1 tablespoon of milk at a time until desired texture is reached.
- Dip the rim of each cupcake into the cinnamon-sugar mixture (as prepared in step 2). This will give the cupcake the snickerdoodle cookie effect.
- Use a pastry bag with a 2D closed star tip, fill bag 3/4 full, twist top to lock in frosting and pipe swirls clockwise or counterclockwise onto the center of each cupcake.
- Sprinkle additional cinnamon sugar onto piped frosting before it dries to give an extra finishing touch. ENJOY!
Full-fat ingredients may be substituted for the reduced/fat-free versions in this recipe.
To avoid frosting falling off, dip ONLY the rim of the cupcakes in the cinnamon-sugar. Alternatively, you can frost first, then use a pastry brush as a tool to help brush on the cinnamon-sugar.
Dip cupcakes in cinnamon-sugar the day of consumption to avoid the moist cake from absorbing the sugar.
If the tops of the cupcakes are dry (which shouldn’t), melt 1-2 tablespoons of butter, use a pastry brush to brush on a thin coat of the butter and proceed with dipping the rims of each cupcake into the cinnamon-sugar.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Cuisine: American