Never have bland potatoes again. By a simple ingredient, you can transition your potatoes in Spanish Style Home Fries! Packed with flavor and color. You can enjoy this on the side with eggs, sausage and bacon.
Bringing something slightly different to the breakfast table and that’s these deliciously flavored potatoes!
It’s been several weeks since my mother came to visit and while in town, there was one day when we had a very late start. It was one of those “let’s stay at home, watch movies and be lazy” kind of day. Considering it was too late to go out for breakfast and too early for dinner, we enjoyed a simple brunch at home.
I told her about my Spanish style home fries with achiote and immediately she knew what this was and wanted to make it. I was a bit surprised because when growing up, she never made this so I don’t where she’s had it before. Deep down I was hoping to show her something I thought would be her first… I should have known better. SMH
This recipe is from a verrry old ex of mine, straight out of high school kind of old. He was Puerto Rican and just as I am now, I was always partial to this island’s cuisine. From my mom’s Puerto Rican inspired arroz con gandules to tres leches cake, I LOVE Latin foods! There’s so much flavor and spice that gives a sense of warmth and comfort to the soul.
Home fries may not be anything new to your weekend breakfast or brunch however, this particular recipe has an unexpected ingredient that gives this dish a punch of flavor. That’s, Sazón con culantro y achiote (not pictured). It’s a unique blend of garlic, cumin, coriander (cilantro), annatto for natural food coloring and salt. There are a few homemade versions around the web replicating this powerful little ingredient packet but I haven’t found one that truly mimics what Goya’s Sazón is all about.
Sazón truly elevates the flavor of these potatoes. And sure, you can go without it but, it won’t be the same. This is one of those ingredients that once you have it, you’d never want to make bland home fries again.
Don’t get me wrong, crispy home fries are amazing but I feel it’s a bit one dimensional to where I have to add ketchup to get that oomph I’m looking for. Here, not only are the potatoes spiced with garlic, cumin, cilantro, and annatto, there is also sautéed onions and fresh red and green peppers, all which heightens the flavor profile. You can eat it alone or have it with a side of eggs, sausage and bacon.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Consider rating and commenting below. I love to hear your feedback and help answer any questions you may have. And don’t forget to check below for related recipes.Print
Spanish Style Home Fries
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Diet: Vegan
Never have bland potatoes again. By a simple ingredient, you can transition your next Home Fries into Spanish Style! Packed with flavor and color. You can enjoy this on the side with eggs, sausage and bacon.
- 12 ounces (340 grams) petite red skinned or baby yellow potatoes
- 3 teaspoons (12 grams) salt
- 1 tablespoon (14 grams) salted butter – I used Earth Balance
- 1 small (90 grams) onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup (65 grams) red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup (65 grams) green bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (6 grams) Goya Sazón con culantro y achiote
- 1/2 teaspoon (1.5 grams) black pepper
- In a large pot over high heat, bring potatoes and 2 teaspoons of salt to a boil for 15 minutes or until tender. Test readiness by inserting a fork into the center of a few potatoes. If the fork pulls out smooth, it’s ready. Drain water and set potatoes under running cold water for 2 to 3 minutes to stop the residual heat from further cooking.
- Once potatoes are cool to the touch, cut each in half and cut each half once more. Set aside over a cutting board to further cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Mix in onions and cook until they appear translucent. Reduce heat to medium. Add red and green peppers and cook for about 5 minutes, mixing frequently to ensure even tenderness. Stir in Sazón.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add potatoes and gently stir until all side of the potatoes are coated with Sazón. Remove from heat. Add remaining salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley, if desired. ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 22 minutes
Keywords: home fries, breakfast potatoes