These Chocolate Baked Spider Web Donuts are full of richness and super fun for Halloween! They’re soft and tender, and are lightly spiced to create a beautiful flavor.
- 1/2 cup (95 g) dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup (120 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (110 g) dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (23 g) Dutch processed cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (120 g) buttermilk
- 1 large egg (50 g)
- 1 large egg yolk (15 g)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons (50 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon (5 g pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups (230 g) powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons (23 g) Dutch processed cocoa
- 4 to 6 tablespoons (60 to 90 g) milk
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 tablespoon (14 g) unsalted butter
- mini spiders
- DONUTS: In a small bowl, microwave chocolate chips for 30 seconds, stir. Reheat for an additional 15 seconds or until about 75% of the chips have melted. Residual heat will melt any remaining chocolate smaller than the size of a pea; set aside to cool.
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Spray a donut baking pan with nonstick cooking spray with flour; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking soda, nutmeg, espresso and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk buttermilk, egg plus egg yolk, melted butter, vinegar and vanilla until just combined. Gradually add the flour mixture and mix until the batter is just combined. Do not overmix.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in cooled melted chocolate until there are no visible streaks in the batter. Spoon batter into each doughnut cavity one-half full. Avoid overfilling the cavities so that each donut has a hole when baked.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow doughnuts to rest in the pan for a few minutes before inverting doughnuts over onto a cloth or wire rack for additional cooling. Repeat the baking process until the batter is completely used. Allow donuts to cool completely before glazing.
- GLAZE: In a deep bowl, mix powdered sugar, cocoa and 2 tablespoons of milk until no visible dry pockets remain. Add another tablespoon of milk at a time if the glaze is too thick.
- Using a fine mesh sieve, strain chocolate glaze to remove any clumps that couldn’t mix. Lightly tap the bottom of the bowl on the countertop to allow any air bubbles to rise to the surface and pop. If necessary, use a toothpick to pop any bubbles. This will prevent air bubbles within the glaze from showing onto the donuts.
- Dip each donut about halfway deep into the glaze. Gently shake off excess glaze and rest the donut glaze-side-up over a wire rack. Note – to achieve picture perfect sprinkled donuts, glaze about 6 donuts at a time before sprinkling your favorite jimmies. This will allow glaze to settle toward the sides of the donut therefore, the jimmies will hold in place when sprinkled. Allow the glaze to dry for 20 minutes before serving.
- WEBBING: Note – Ensure chocolate glaze is completely dry before starting work on the marshmallows. In a shallow bowl, microwave 1 cup of marshmallows for 30 seconds, stir. Reheat for 10 seconds if there are any lumps of marshmallows that didn’t melt, stir once more. Avoid over stirring to minimize the amount of air bubbles. Note: Melting marshmallows will initially be very hot. Begin work once it becomes cool enough to handle.
- To prevent over sticking of melted marshmallows onto your fingers, rub butter on the inside of your hands and between fingers. Grab a hefty pinch of melted marshmallow and stretch across the donuts. This process is very sticky and may require rinsing of your hands for a clean finish before resuming onto other donuts.
- When ready, microwave the remaining half of the marshmallows to finish webbing the remaining donuts. Place 1 to 2 mini spiders onto the donuts (do not eat plastic spiders). Serve and ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Doughnuts
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: halloween donuts, doughnuts, spooky donuts, spider web donuts,