A Surprisingly Healthy Upgrade to Shortcakes with Protein-Rich Ricotta and Reduced Fat.
Layered between two Buttery and Flaky Biscuits is Strawberry Basil Compote and Whipped Vanilla Ricotta offering a Soft and Refreshing Flavor you don’t want to miss!
- 1 1/2 cups (195 grams) fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced 1 mm thin
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) brown sugar
- 2 sprigs (6 grams) fresh basil, chiffonade cut, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (180 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon (13 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (3 grams) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (3 grams) salt
- 3 tablespoons (42 grams) unsalted cold butter, sliced or cut in 1 cm cubes
- 3/4 cup (188 grams) buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) oat milk or regular milk
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) coarse sugar (demerara or turbinado)
- 1 cup (248 grams) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup (29 grams) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon (6 grams) pure vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir sliced strawberries with brown sugar and 1 sprig of basil. Heat for 5 minutes until strawberries have softened. A few may break down completely. Remove from heat and transfer compote to a shallow bowl to cool to room temperature.
- Heat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat, parchment paper or lightly coat with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Toss in butter and coat with flour mixture. Using a pastry blender or long-tined fork, cut in butter until the mixture becomes crumbly. Largest crumb should be no larger than the size of a small pea. Stir in buttermilk until flour mixture is just moistened. Dough will be sticky.
- Transfer dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead 6 to 8 times until the dough is smooth in appearance. Pat dough down to 3/4 inch (2 cm) thick. Using a 2 1/2 inch (6 cm) round biscuit cutter, cut the dough into rounds. Reroll scraps as needed to make 6 rounds. Transfer onto the baking sheet. Brush coat the tops of each round with milk and sprinkle coarse sugar on top.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow the biscuits to rest for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool to room temperature.
- In a deep bowl using an immersion blender, mix ricotta, powdered sugar and vanilla together until smooth.
- Once biscuits have cooled, slice in half lengthwise. To make shortcakes, dollop whipped ricotta onto the bottom half of each biscuit. Layer with strawberry-basil compote and sprinkle remaining basil on top. Place the top half of each biscuit above to make a complete shortcake. ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: shortcakes, strawberry basil, compote