- 10 ounces (2 cups) fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1 1/8 cups plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1/2 cup reduced strawberries
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Line 12 cupcake wells with paper baking liners or lightly grease and flour the wells; set aside.
- Reduction: In a small saucepan, mash strawberries and mix in 1 teaspoon granulated sugar; bring to a simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes until the mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and allow it to cool for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk remaining 1 1/8 granulated sugar and eggs for about 45 seconds or until the mixture thickens. Gradually whisk in melted butter, oil, buttermilk and vanilla until just combined.
- Pour egg-mixture into the flour mixture and fold until just combined. Note: do not over mix. Some lumps may be present and that is okay.
- Divide batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Place about 1/2 to 1 teaspoonful of reduced strawberries into the center of the batter. Using a toothpick, swirl the strawberry with the batter. Sprinkle tops with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 17 to 19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out dry. Allow to cool in pans for about 5 to 10 minutes before removing onto a wire rack for additional cooling.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl, use a fine mesh sieve to strain the reduced strawberries. Use only the liquid portion; discard any seeds and strawberry flesh. By this time, 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the liquid should be present. Stir in 1 cup of powdered sugar until the glaze is void of any sugar lumps. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup if a thicker consistency is desired.
- Pour glaze over cooled muffins. ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes