This Sweet Cornbread is perfectly balanced – Lightly sweet and tender. Made with Browned Butter to create a deep buttery flavor and slathered with homemade Whipped Cinnamon Honey Butter and drizzled honey for a sweeter finish!
Sweet cornbread isn’t really my thing. Don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy it. If given with a meal, I’ll always eat it, but will I finish it? Hmm… Well, that depends.
It’s not a recipe I think of if I were asked to bring something to a pot-luck, a cookout or to accompany my own dinners. The inspiration behind this one is really… none. I woke up one morning and said to myself, “I’m gonna make cornbread. A fine ass cornbread that everyone will like!” Don’t know why, out of all the recipes in the world, this one popped up in my head, but here we are today. This is by far, the best I’ve ever had.
I’m quite obsessed with this new sweet cornbread! New as the operative word here as there were more than 10 recipe variations tested. Over the span of a few weekends, I became hyperfixated on this quick bread. So much so, I lost count. I kept going and going until I felt I achieved THE right formula.
A batch with less butter and then another batch with browned butter was tested. Another test batch with sour cream and one without. Add another with varying sugar types and quantities. Yet amongst all of these trials and more (not mentioned), there was something still missing. I was yearning for that oomph. That WOW factor that draws you in and makes you say, “Now THAT is some goood cornbread!”
What makes a moist cornbread?
From the recipes tested, there was one common characteristic, dryness. It later dawned on me, the moistest sponge cakes and quick breads tend to use oil. With that in mind, I added 1/3 cup of oil and an extra egg yolk for richness and like magic, this was the secret sauce! I finally got it.
I’ve done the hard work in creating a sweet cornbread that’s tender, moist, and has the perfect sweet balance with browned buttery flavor, so you don’t have to. So whether you decide to bring a tray of this cornbread to your next outing or have it alongside your chili, soup or stew, remember to accompany it with my homemade whipped cinnamon honey butter. It’s sweet & salty all-in-one!
I like to have a piece of cornbread as my morning breakfast. It’s pure greatness first thing in the morning!
Perfectly balanced, this Sweet Cornbread is made with Browned Butter creating a deep buttery flavor. To add to its richness, generously slather homemade Whipped Cinnamon Honey Butter across the top and for a sweeter finish, drizzle honey!
- 5 tablespoons (71 grams) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (240 grams) milk
- 1 large egg (50 grams) plus 1 egg yolk (19 grams)
- 1/3 cup (75 grams) vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups (188 grams) yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup (120 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon (10 grams) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
CINNAMON HONEY BUTTER
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (32 grams) pure honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- SWEET CORNBREAD: In a small skillet over medium-low heat, melt butter until it becomes aromatic and amber-brown in color, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer melted browned butter to a shallow bowl to cool to warm or room temperature.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Using a baking spray with flour, generously coat the bottom and sides of a13×9 inch (33×23 cm) baking pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk milk, egg, egg yolk, browned butter and oil until just combined. Using a rubber spatula, mix in cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt until just combined. Batter will be lumpy or gritty. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly to the edges of the pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow cornbread to rest in the pan for 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
- CINNAMON HONEY BUTTER: Meanwhile, in a small bowl, using a long tined fork, mix butter, 1 tablespoon honey, cinnamon and salt together until smooth. Add more honey or cinnamon to taste. Spread over the cornbread when served.
- If using salted butter to make the cinnamon honey butter, omit the 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cornbread, cinnamon honey butter, sweet cornbread