Perfect wake-me-up breakfast! Infused with lemon, lime & orange with their tops brushed with a citrus simple syrup giving each muffin a light touch of sweetness.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 1/2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line muffin wells with a paper baking cup or lightly grease and flour each well; set pan aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs until just combined. Stir in lemon, lime and orange grated peels.
- Gently mix the flour mixture into the wet ingredients alternating with the yogurt. Divide batter evenly among the prepared muffin wells.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack for additional cooling.
- Meanwhile in a small saucepan over medium heat, mix sugar and lemon, lime and orange juices together until the sugar dissolves and the mixture forms a light syrup, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Brush syrup over warm muffins. ENJOY!
If fresh fruits are unavailable, you may use extracts for the muffin portion of the recipe and refrigerated juices for the syrup portion of the recipe, in the same amounts.
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: citrus, poppy seed muffins, lemon, lime, orange, simple syrup