- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 vanilla beans, seeds scraped
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- In medium saucepan, bring milk, cream, 1/2 cup sugar, salt and vanilla beans and their pods just to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat egg yolks and remaining 1/2 cup sugar until think.
- Once milk/cream mixture has come to a light boil, turn off heat and temper the eggs by mixing 1/3 of the milk/cream mixture into the eggs, whisk and repeat another 1/3 until everything is mixed together.
- Return mixture to the saucepan and using a wooden spoon, stir continuously over low heat until the mixture thickens and covers the back of the spoon. Note: do not allow the mixture to boil as this will cook the eggs.
- Pour mixture through a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl. Discard any remnants of egg product and vanilla pods. Let cool to room temperature. Stir in vanilla extract. Chill in refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours or overnight.
- Pour mixture into the ice cream machine and allow it to churn for 15 to 20 minutes or according to manufacture’s directions. Place ice cream in a chilled bowl or pan, cover and allow to freeze for 2 to 3 hours for firmer consistency, if desired. ENJOY!
Whole milk may be substituted for fat-free milk.
To reduce vanilla taste, use 1 vanilla bean and/or reduce vanilla extract to 1 1/2 teaspoons.