- 1/2 cup unsalted shelled pistachios, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- green food coloring (optional)
- 1/2 cup pecans, halved
- In a medium bowl, combined pistachios and 1/4 cup sugar, set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the milk and cream just to a boil. Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, combine and whisk egg yolks and remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Gradually whisk 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture. Gradually add the egg mixture in a slow, steady stream into the hot cream in the saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the custard thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon and reaches 170°F on an instant read thermometer, about 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain into a large bowl. Add pistachio mixture, almond extract and few drops of green food coloring, stir. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 1 – 2 hours or overnight.
- Pour mixture into the ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s directions.
- Five minutes before mixing of ice cream is complete, add cashews.
- For thicker ice cream, place into an air tight container and freeze for 2 or more hours.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes