Using All Natural Fruit, Blueberry Lemon Sweet Rolls are nothing short of Charming. With a floral-like aroma from a touch of Cardamom and Lemon Glaze capped over each roll, brings this treat to life! So bright with a soft tang and luscious fruity filling. Perfect for breakfast or as a midday snack with coffee or tea.
- 2 1/4 teaspoons (7 grams) dry instant yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water, 100°F/212°C to 110°F/230°C
- 1/2 cup (120 grams) reduced fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup (67 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon (6 grams) pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg (55 grams)
- 2 1/3 cups (280 grams) all-purpose flour, divided
BLUEBERRY LEMON FILLING
- 2 cups (210 grams) fresh or thawed frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons (18 grams) lemon zest, divided
- 2 tablespoons (15 grams) cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) ground cardamom
- 2 cups (230 grams) powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons (38 grams) fresh lemon juice
- DOUGH: In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water, let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer attached with the paddle attachment, mix sour cream, sugar, 1/4 cup (57 grams) butter, vanilla, salt and egg until just combined. Slowly stir in yeast mixture. Gradually mix in 2 cups of flour, about 1/2 cup at a time, until a cohesive ball of soft dough begins to form.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Add enough flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent the dough from sticking to the hands. Dough will remain slightly tacky.
- Spray coat a large bowl with oil. Place dough in the bowl and turn over once to coat the top with oil. Loosely cover and allow dough to rise to about double its size in a warm 85°F (26°C) draft-free environment, about 1 hour.
- FILLING: Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over low-medium heat, bring blueberries, sugar, 2 tablespoons (12 grams) lemon zest, cornstarch and cardamom to a soft boil. Mash blueberries to help release their juice. When 75% of the blueberries are broken down, remove from heat and transfer filling onto a shallow plate to thicken as it cools.
- Once dough has doubled in size, remove from the bowl onto a lightly floured surface and roll dough into a large rectangle about 1 cm thick. Brush coat the dough with 1 tablespoon (14 grams) of melted butter leaving 1/2 inch (1.3 cm) border along the edge that is furthest from you, free from butter. With the remaining melted butter, brush coat the bottom and sides of a 12 cup muffin pan; set aside.
- Evenly spread thickened blueberry lemon-filling over the dough leaving a 3/4-inch border along the top edge. Gently press down onto the filling mixture into the dough to adhere.
- Starting on the long side opposite of the border that is free from butter and filling, roll the dough while pressing lightly to form a tight cylinder. Firmly pinch seam to seal.
- Using a serrated knife in a gentle sawing motion or dental floss, cut the roll into 12 1-inch slices. Arrange the slices cut side up into the muffin pan. For a more even finish to the sides of the muffin rolls, run an angled spatula or butter knife around the sides of the rolls. Loosely cover and let the dough rise again for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Heat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Once dough is ready, uncover and bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow the rolls to rest in the pan for 5 minutes before removing the rolls onto a wire rack to cool to room temperature.
- GLAZE: in a small bowl, stir powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Drizzle glaze over the warm rolls. ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: blueberry lemon, sweet rolls, breakfast rolls, cardamom, spring desserts