Impress your friends and family by giving your holiday table a bit of elegance and booze. Spike your pecan pie with bourbon and transform it into diamond cut bars!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon bourbon or rum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup semisweet or milk chocolate chips (optional)
- 2 cups pecans, coarsely chopped
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×9 baking pan with foil leaving extra foil to hand over the sides for easy removal of the bars. Using baking spray with flour, coat the bottom and sides of foil-lined baking pan; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, light brown sugar and pecans. Using a pastry blender or a long-tined fork, cut cold butter into flour-pecan mixture until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Note: a few small chunks from the pecans may appear, this is ok. Pat mixture evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until crust is light brown and springs back when lightly touched.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, mix together melted butter, light brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, bourbon, salt and egg until just combined.
- Pour filling mixture over prebaked crust and evenly sprinkle chocolate chips and pecans on top.
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes or until cracks begin to form across the surface.
- Allow to cool in pan for 20 minutes before transferring to a wire rack for additional cooling, up to 40 minutes.
- Once cooled, use a serrated knife to cut into bars. Serve at room temperature. ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Cuisine: American