Impress friends & family at the Holiday Table by surprising them with a Unique yet Comforting, Creamy Butternut Squash Pie. They’d think it’s pumpkin but little do they know! 😉
SALTINE CRUMB CRUST
- 1 1/2 cups (116 grams) saltine cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup (73 grams) light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon (2 grams) fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, melted
BUTTERNUT SQUASH FILLING
- 2/3 cup (147 grams) light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs (100 grams)
- 1 large egg yolk (20 grams)
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) bourbon
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon (1.5 grams) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon (1.5 grams) Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (1 gram) smoked paprika
- 1 cup (244 grams) roasted butternut squash purée
- 3/4 cup (180 grams) heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 pasteurized egg white (30 grams)
- 2 to 3 dozen fresh cranberries
MAPLE WHIPPED CREAM
- 1/2 cup (120 grams) heavy whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons (84 grams) maple syrup
- Fresh rosemary sprigs
- CRUST: Heat oven to 350°F (175°C). In a medium bowl, mix cracker crumbs, sugar and rosemary together. Add in butter and mix well until crumbs resemble wet crumbly sand.
- In a 9-inch pie plate, pat down crumbs onto the bottom and up the sides of the plate.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until crust becomes golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- FILLING: In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, egg yolk, bourbon, ginger, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, paprika until just combined. Gently mix in butternut purée and heavy cream until well combined. Pour mixture in the prebaked crust.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until the edges are set and the center is slightly jiggly. About 20 to 30 minutes into baking, if needed, cover the crust with foil or a silicone pie crust shield to prevent over browning.
- Remove pie from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack to room temperature before adding whipped cream and toppings.
- SUGARED CRANBERRIES: Meanwhile, pour sugar in a small shallow dish; set aside.
- Using a pastry brush, brush coat the cranberries with pasteurized egg white and allow to dry for a minute until the cranberries become sticky. Roll cranberries in the sugar to coat. Set aside on a plate to further dry.
- WHIPPED CREAM: In a large bowl using an electric mixer, whisk on high speed heavy cream and 2 tablespoons (42 grams) maple syrup until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate until pie is cooled to room temperature.
- Place large dollops of heavy over the pie. Drizzle remaining maple syrup. Garnish with sugared cranberries and rosemary. Best served chilled or at room temperature. Slice and ENJOY!
To create butternut squash purée, peel and deseed a small butternut squash. Cut into quarters and coat with vegetable oil. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Heat oven to 400°F (200°C) and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour until a fork inserted into the squash can slide out easily. Place squash into a food processor and process on high speed until puréed.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: butternut squash pie, fall baking, saltine cracker crust