- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 6 oz semisweet chocolate chips or baking chocolate, chopped
CARAMEL APPLE GLAZE
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon boiled cider
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 3 small apples
- 3 small sticks, 5-8 inches in length
- 11 oz bag Kraft caramel bits or soft caramel candies, unwrapped
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray coat the bottom and sides of a 3-inch deep, 9-inch round baking pan with baking spray with flour; set aside. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl fitted to a stand mixer, beat on high speed brown sugar, granulated sugar and butter for up to 1 minute or until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla for another minute.
- Alternating flour mixture and milk, beat in until just combined. Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Allow to cool for about 2 hours. In the meantime, prepare ganache, glaze and caramel apples.
- In a small saucepan over low-medium heat, heat heavy cream until a light simmer; remove from heat.
- Stir in chocolate until completely melted. Allow to cool for 15 minutes. To quickly thicken ganache, chill in refrigerator for 15-30 minutes. One light stir may be necessary after chilling before spreading ganache over cake.
CARAMEL APPLE GLAZE
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together brown sugar, butter, heavy cream and salt to a boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in boiled cider and powdered sugar. Allow to cool for 15 minutes. For a thicker glaze, chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes. Glaze will thin to its original consistency if left at room temperature. Pour and spread evenly over chocolate ganache.
- Thoroughly wash and dry apples with warm water. Once dried, insert one stick through the core of the stem end of each apple; set aside.
- In a small, deep microwavable bowl, microwave caramel with 2 tablespoons of water for up to 2 minutes or until all caramel has melted. Stir after each 30-second interval to prevent burning.
- Grabbing the apple by the stick, dip apples in melted caramel until evenly coated. Allow excess caramel to drip off and lay to rest bottom-end onto the silicon baking mat.
- In separate small microwaveable bowl, melt chocolate for 30 seconds, stir and repeat until chocolate is completely melted. Pour melted chocolate into one corner of a zip lock plastic bag, twist bag to push chocolate toward the tip. Using scissors, cut the tip of the plastic bag. Gently push melted chocolate from the back of the bag in a zig-zag motion to create a drizzled look. Place caramel apples in center of cake or as desired. ENJOY!
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: ganache, fall inspired cake, brown sugar cake, caramel apples, chocolate covered apples, single layer cake, one layer cake