- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (optional)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 3/4 cups hot brewed coffee or hot water
- vanilla ice cream, if desired
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom and sides of a 9-inch square baking pan; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Add milk, butter and vanilla and mix until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Spread batter into pan. Note: batter will be thick. Evenly sprinkle brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa. Slowly and evenly, pour hot coffee over the batter.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until top is dry. Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Spoon warm cake and its sauce into a bowl. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream ENJOY!