- 1 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into 8 wedges, and sliced 1/8-inch thick crosswise
- 1 tablespoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg + 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 9-inch springform pan or 9-inch removable bottom tart pan with vegetable oil and lightly dust with flour. Note: baking spray with flour can be used. Be sure baking pan is at minimum 2 inches deep. Place pan over a foil lined baking sheet; set aside.
- In a large microwaveable bowl, precook apples on HIGH for 2 minutes. If apple slices snap when bent, reheat for an additional minute. Note: readiness is determined if slices are pliable.
- Spray or lightly brush lemon juice and rum over apples; toss to ensure slices are coated.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat 1 egg, oil, milk and vanilla.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to the egg mixture and mix until well blended and no visible flour pockets are present. Set aside 1 cup of batter in a small bowl.
- Whisk in 2 egg yolks to the remaining batter, gently fold in apples. Pour in baking pan.
- Whisk in 2 tablespoons of flour to the 1 cup batter mixture. Pour over batter in pan and spread evenly towards the edge.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon granulated sugar over cake.
- Bake for 30 minutes, rotate baking pan 180 degrees and bake for additional 30 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cake (not apples) comes out clean.
- Allow to cool to room temperature about 2 to 3 hours. Lightly dust top of cake with powdered sugar. ENJOY!
1 tablespoon of rum extract was substituted for the original recipe’s 1 tablespoon Calvados.
Store cake in fridge. Serve at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes