These ginger snaps have been given an extra “snap” of flavor with the addition of peppery spices. Slightly softer than most store bought versions which is great to use for ice cream sandwiches or even as a cookie crumb crust for pies and cheesecakes.
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat; set aside.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat brown sugar, shortening, molasses and egg together until just blended. Mix in the remaining ingredients except for the granulated sugar.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or 1 tablespoonful, scoop a mound of dough and roll in hands to form a small ball. Dip one side of the ball into the bowl of granulated sugar to coat. Place onto the prepared cookie sheet sugar-side-up separated apart from each other by 2 inches. Lightly press the tops of each ball to flatten. This will ensure a disk-like shape when baked rather than a puffed cookie.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until tops are set. Carefully remove cookies onto a wire rack to further cool. ENJOY!
For a slightly softer cookie, immediately remove cookies onto a wire rack to cool. WARNING: remove with caution; use tongs as these cookies will be very HOT.
Once cookies are cooled to room temperature, place in an airtight container to preserve its moisture. If left out, cookies will “dry out” and harden.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 11 minutes
- Cuisine: American