Brown Soda Bread has a natural rustic beauty, full of flavor and a slightly sweet crunchy crust that is super easy to make. No yeast, no proofing, just a few ingredients needed and can be made within One Hour to serve an entire family!
- 1 1/2 cups (180 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (195 grams) whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (58 grams) cake flour
- 1/2 cup (30 grams) wheat bran or wheat germ
- 3 tablespoons (38 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (8 grams) baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (5 grams) cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (9 grams) salt
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups (438 grams) buttermilk
- Heat oven to 400°F (205°C). Line a baking pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flours, wheat bran, sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Using a pastry blender or a long tined fork, cut in butter until fully incorporated into the flour mixture.
- Add 1 1/2 cups (375 grams) buttermilk into the flour mixture and using the pastry blender or fork, mix the buttermilk into the flour until a dough with large lumps begins to form and there is no dry flour remaining at the bottom of the bowl. Add 1/4 cup 63 grams) buttermilk to the dough, 1 tablespoon at a time, until all of the flour is moistened.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured counter and pat dough into a 6-inch (15 cm) round. Note: the dough may have large lumps and look shaggy. Transfer dough onto the prepared baking pan. Score deep cross on top of the dough about 5 inches (13 cm) in length and 3/4-inch (2 cm) deep.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, slice, spread salted butter and/or marmalade and serve. ENJOY!
1/2 cup cake flour can be substituted for 1/2 cup wheat bran or wheat germ.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Cuisine: Irish
Keywords: brown soda bread, Irish brown bread